If You Could Do Just One Thing To Increase Gas Mileage...

OK, my gas mileage truly sucks now. 14 mpg, and it dropped off quite suddenly. We're almost not driving the Lexus at all. We plan to take care of the full range of tuneup items in a few months, but I just want to know which item is the most likely candidate for killing our mileage and maybe I can fix this item myself now.

The car has 101,000 miles. To my eye the first spark plug looks like it has life left. The tires are properly inflated. What's the most likely culprit, or is this even answerable?

thanks!

so many things can effect gas mileage!

a/c, windows down, lead foot, dirty filter, clogged pcv valve, bad injectors, etc etc etc.

hell i saw 14 last few weeks........attributed it to me roasting my tires once lately but i normally only get 15-16

sorry man

brian

Fuel filter. Need a 14 MM or 16 MM hand wrench and some small channel locks (or two of the hand wrenches) and 10 minutes. Costs like $15. Might need some PB blaster to get 'er loose if it hasn't been changed in a long time.

I'm all for trying this; however, how does a presumably clogged fuel filter help the car consume too much (rather than too little) fuel?

Fuel filter. Need a 14 MM or 16 MM hand wrench and some small channel locks (or two of the hand wrenches) and 10 minutes. Costs like $15. Might need some PB blaster to get 'er loose if it hasn't been changed in a long time.

hate to break it to u guys but the oem fuel filter is a lifetime part! NEVER needs replacing they claim.......and no way u gonna find a oem fuel filter for 15!

brian

what year is your car? anyways i have increased my gas mileage from about 16.8 to 19.1. here is what i did and when i noticed the change.

1. Weapon r cold air intake: no change

2. Changed to mobil 1 fully synthetic oil (from reg) and tried not to floor it all the time: about 1-1.5 mpg increase

3. Replaced plugs (which looked pretty good,) with bosch Platinum Ir Fusion spark plugs: about another .5 - 1 mpg

4. K&N filter for my intake: about another .5 mpg

5. Just got a HKS exhaust: dont know yet, but hopefully will see 20mpg!

and this is all city driving

I'm all for trying this; however, how does a presumably clogged fuel filter help the car consume too much (rather than too little) fuel?

A fuel filter made in 1993 that never needs replaced? One, I'm skeptical of that claim. Two, that's IF the part on your car is still OEM. Unless you've owned it all along, there is a good chance that someone changed it at some point, and it's a 15k-30k replacement at that point.

I'm not quite sure what your getting at...any part can fail, but on the 98+ models, you have to replace the fuel pump when you replace the filter, its like a 2-in-1 type thing, and its about $300 for the part, no labor. and the fuel pump is supposed to be life time. (this is what ive been told...im not 100% sure, b/c i just read it was was a 60k maintenance thing, and that the gas tank has to be removed in order to replace it...)

just a random update on mileage...i just got back from a trip to atlanta and i got 24.5 mpg (i was doing about 75-80 most of the time, not counting the 30 min in stop and go traffic) how does this compare to other highway mpg's?

thanks

ya I get about 24ish with AC on, i removed spare tire, and have the K&n filter, new iridium plugs, cut off the heatshields for headers and removed the stock amp from the back. i'm kind of extreme when it comes to weight. no change, no mats, just me! :D

just cut off whatever u dont need with a grinder! lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
OK, my gas mileage truly sucks now. 14 mpg, and it dropped off quite suddenly. We're almost not driving the Lexus at all. We plan to take care of the full range of tuneup items in a few months, but I just want to know which item is the most likely candidate for killing our mileage and maybe I can fix this item myself now.

The car has 101,000 miles. To my eye the first spark plug looks like it has life left. The tires are properly inflated. What's the most likely culprit, or is this even answerable?

thanks!

Could be transmission related if not tune up issues...what year is your car again?

thanks!

Could be transmission related if not tune up issues...what year is your car again?

def not transmission related., it can and it alot of the time right foot related.....or pump,injectors, etc etc . shouldnt ever be a tranny less its just going out and winding the gears. welcome to the club...........u do know this post is OVER 6 months old?

I was getting about 14-15 all city driving and was detailing my baby and noticed the tires (michelin as exaltos) said inflate up to 40 something but were only infaled to 32 psi as per Lexus specs. So I jacked them up to 37, didn't really notice any big change in ride or handling but MPG did go up to 17 !

The pressure on the tire sidewall is the maximum pressure allowed in order to achieve the load rating. Lexus advises the correct pressure for the tire, for the car's weight and to provide safe handling. I run the 235/45-17 Michelins on my GS at 30 psi year round.

The pressure on the tire sidewall is the maximum pressure allowed in order to achieve the load rating. Lexus advises the correct pressure for the tire, for the car's weight and to provide safe handling. I run the 235/45-17 Michelins on my GS at 30 psi year round.

i 2nd this.....think dealer would know better than most of us! yeah your mileage is gonna increase some (dunno bout 2 mpg) but your tires will ALSO wear faster at 37 than at 32.....i run mine Michelin mxv4's with nitrogen at about 33-34 ALL year! deflate those tires a tad...im my opinion