Brake Lights Not Working

mdugan322

Searched the forums for a good two hours now and still have yet to find specific info on my tail light issue. From what I've found it can be one of two things: the switch, when the brake is applied, may be stuck/faulty and or the wiring harness that is located in the rear of the trunk. Ive checked the fuses in both the engine bay and under the dash, nothing. So at this point im assuming its either of the two problems. id really appreciate it if someone could better explain what im looking for and of course a cheaper solution than what a dealer/mechnic has to offer. thanks for your time.

theres also a box located in the trunk by the left hinge, pull the carpet back and its mounted upright with lots of wires going to it

right i found that but couldnt see anything wrong with the wiring. i unwrapped all the wires followed them thru the trunk and back to the engine bay and everything looked good.

ive yet to try my hand at soldering, so thats going to be the last of my attempts. Strange thing is i believe its a short and not the module, reason i say that is the brake lights were working momentarily but now they dont and neither does my a/c controller or my radio!!! I disconnected the system and took out the 12's so that it would be easier for my mechanic to replace the gas tank. I took the negative off the battery, disconnected the system, screwed around with the wiring harness after taking the system out, just in hopes of finding faulty wires but . . .nothing . . . i checked the bulbs, then played with the fuses for a min. Reconnected the battery when i decided to call it a day and poof the brake lights were working. went back to the fuse box to see if the radio fuse was blown b/c the head unit had not turned on . . . checked the brakes and they stopped working again.

someone mentioned something about a switch? maybe thats my problem or as i have guessed a short in the system. The powered mirrors dont work now too. Anyone know a good way to finding out how to track down a short?

Sounds like hitting the brakes causes the short. Exactly my symptom with the trunk hinge wire harness short. Check it again, very carefully.

You could simply take it to a Lex dealer and ask for an electrical check, spelling out your symptoms, and mention the trunk harness.

Should be less than $200 to pinpoint it.