Windshield Replacement

nyuhsuk

Riding on the ol' Beltway to work and BAM!... rock or something cracks the windshield while only going about 40MPH... it left a nice Janet nipple ring size star crack...

I'm just curious if the standard Lexus warranty covers cracks like this (I'm guessing highly unlikely)...

Sucks... and I specifically avoid driving behind huge trucks that kick up the fabulous road debris in VA roads...

Your insurance will cover it. You may even have a zero deductible for glass work. Rain sensing wipers may need special glass, if you have that feature.

Unfortunately the Lexus warranty does not cover this type of situation.

Your insurance will cover it. You may even have a zero deductible for glass work. Rain sensing wipers may need special glass, if you have that feature.

I'll have to look into that zero deductible for glass work... I had to pay the hit-and-run deductible of $250 when someone decided to ram their truck onto my hood when I was at work... it'd be nice if I didn't have to pay that...

I heard that in FL, the state replaces windshields for free as a state safety regulation?

Thanks~

I'll have to look into that zero deductible for glass work... I had to pay the hit-and-run deductible of $250 when someone decided to ram their truck onto my hood when I was at work... it'd be nice if I didn't have to pay that...

I heard that in FL, the state replaces windshields for free as a state safety regulation?

Thanks~

The $250 that you paid is the State of Maryland's Uninsured Motorist Deductible. It is standard with all policies in MD.

This came up in another forum. I would not accept anything but the OEM Lexus windshield. It was designed by Yamaha to decrease cabin noise and is part of the overall acoustic design of the ES.

From Autofieldguide.com...

"The windshield has a layer of low-durometer plastic film between the two sheets of glass to absorb road noise, engine noise, and midrange frequencies (2-5 kHz)."

I would doubt that aftermarket glass companies use the Yamaha design. Since there is probably no way to know, I would want to protect my investment (and cabin serenity) by making sure the windshield says "Lexus" in the corner.

This came up in another forum. I would not accept anything but the OEM Lexus windshield. It was designed by Yamaha to decrease cabin noise and is part of the overall acoustic design of the ES.

From Autofieldguide.com...

"The windshield has a layer of low-durometer plastic film between the two sheets of glass to absorb road noise, engine noise, and midrange frequencies (2-5 kHz)."

I would doubt that aftermarket glass companies use the Yamaha design. Since there is probably no way to know, I would want to protect my investment (and cabin serenity) by making sure the windshield says "Lexus" in the corner.

Thanks for the wealth of information guys~

I agree with the other "posts" in that you will want to specify Lexus OEM glass as a replacement and have the windshield replaced at the dealership or by a glass repair shop that your dealership recommends. If you have the "rain sensing" windshield, a Lexus OEM windshield will probably run you in the neighborhood of $1,200-$1,600. I had the previous owner of our '07 ES350 replace the "rain sensing" windshield before we completed the transaction and it was $1,500, of which he paid $250 for his comprehensive insurance deductible.