1994 Lexus Es300, A Good Deal?

So I am new here and very new to Lexus'. I know a lot about Nissans and Chevys but nothing of Lexus. My friends father offered me a 1994 Lexus ES300 for $2,000 cash. The car shows wear and tear but that is expected at nearly 153,000 miles. They are almost all highway miles because the car was driven to and from Massachusetts (we live in Long Island). One thing that worries me is that the transmission is actually original but I have driven it, and it shifts smoother and better than my father's brand new Accord. It had a gasket leak which was recently repaired also and at the time being, the engine is sound and clean. But here comes the downside, his son was driving the car in the winter and right in front of his house, the car lost control and tail-whipped into a tree. He was going very slow, it was a really icey day by the water and only damaged the back right upper body. It was bondoed but looks grimey. Along with that, the outer shell of the taillight is cracked and doesn't quite fit right, although it works perfectly.

I do not care about aesthetics with this car in particular so the light body damage and wear doesn't matter, but as far as the engine and such goes, is this car worth $2,000? And what could I expect to be my first major cost lol. :huh:

Thanks,

Russell

That seems like a decent deal. Check to find out when the last timing belt was done. KNowing the previous owners is pretty nice since you can ask about previous maintenance. Also, check the tires. My $2500 1993 came with brand new tires. That is a good $400 savings.

Also, if you think the bondo repair will bother you then don't buy it. To get that fixed and painted will be $500-$1000 which means you could have bought a car that wasn't wrecked like mine for $2500. Good Luck.

That seems like a decent deal. Check to find out when the last timing belt was done. KNowing the previous owners is pretty nice since you can ask about previous maintenance. Also, check the tires. My $2500 1993 came with brand new tires. That is a good $400 savings.

Also, if you think the bondo repair will bother you then don't buy it. To get that fixed and painted will be $500-$1000 which means you could have bought a car that wasn't wrecked like mine for $2500. Good Luck.

Alright, I am going to go get the car today. The tires are pretty new and still have a lot of tread and I am going to ask about the timing belt. I got a few more questions;

1. Is it really worth adding an aftermarket intake (ex. an AEM or Weapon R)?

2. Do new spark plugs make much of a difference?

I know I probably sound like a total noob asking these questions but I am just curious.

Thanks for the help. I bought the car and am very happy. I got one problem though, I have to wait on the car for nearly a week as the owner did not have a the title without the lien on it and we had to order it. Once that comes I got to go to the DMV and finalize everything and the car is mine.

Last question, does the car have to get reinspected? The inspection doesn't expire for like 3 more months..

I think that depends on the state. In TN it is only $8 so I would just do it. You might as well take it and have it done before registering it. The worst thing is going in to the DMV, waiting in line for an hour and then finding out you need to have it inspected. I have learned over the years that being proactive is much better then being reactive.

Thanks for the help. I bought the car and am very happy. I got one problem though, I have to wait on the car for nearly a week as the owner did not have a the title without the lien on it and we had to order it. Once that comes I got to go to the DMV and finalize everything and the car is mine.

Last question, does the car have to get reinspected? The inspection doesn't expire for like 3 more months..

Alright, I am going to go get the car today. The tires are pretty new and still have a lot of tread and I am going to ask about the timing belt. I got a few more questions;

1. Is it really worth adding an aftermarket intake (ex. an AEM or Weapon R)?

2. Do new spark plugs make much of a difference?

I know I probably sound like a total noob asking these questions but I am just curious.

Ask when the last time a full 'major' tune up (spark plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, PCV Valve) on the car was performed...not just the spark plugs.....this will save you money in the long run.

:cheers: