Xm Radio For '08 Gs 450h

I am due to pick up my Gs 450h later this week and was interested in having the dealer install XM to the ML audio system. I have read mixed things about XM sound quality. I realize that it is compressed audio and not as good as CD but I was told that the sound stinks. I did hear XM in a LS 460 during a test drive and it sounded fine.

What is your experience with Lexus installed XM radio. Also where is the XM antenna? Does it need to be installed too?

Drbrog:

I thoroughly enjoy my XM radio. My GS did not have it factory installed so I had the dealer install it after purchasing the car. The antenna is a small 1.5" x 1.5" piece about a half inch thick. It comes out of the trunk and is fastened on the back right side, (if you are facing the trunk). It is almost unnoticeable.

I had had XM for a few years prior to this, so, I already knew the quality of the sound...and had never been disappointed. Through my car it sounds wonderful. I don't hear any distortions or "less than CD quality" audio. Most of all, I love the channel selection.

I give it a thumbs up!

--Duckman

I just purchased my '08 GS 350 and had the dealer move my XM from my '06 GX 470. the antenna is the sharkfin as my GS 350 had been 'prewired' whereas the GX was installed after market and had the small square on the roof.

The quality is very good. I'll be adding the XM to my wifes '09 RX, but will have it installed elsewhere.

Mark :)

Thanks for the info duckman. I thought the antenna was in the sharkfin thing on the roof.

My car did not come with the sharkfin, which is why they installed the antenna by the trunk. If yours has a sharkfin, they may be able to connect it to your XM radio, without having to install another antenna - just like nuzbear said. Regardless, the sound quality should be no different.

--Duckman

I have XM and it sounds the same as a CD. It sounds much better than FM. I too have the black square on the trunk lid.

My only complaint with satellite radio is when it is stormy, cloudy or I have a tree branch canopy over the road..........reception is impaired.

steviej

My only complaint with satellite radio is when it is stormy, cloudy or I have a tree branch canopy over the road..........reception is impaired.

Steviej:

I haven't experienced the same clutter you have when it is cloudy/stormy etc.... I know of one bridge that I pass under that the XM signal disappears until I reach the other side, but not during storms. My office desk XM radio doesn't seem to have any issues either.

Now, XM radio uses a series of "Terrestrial" towers, much like cell phone towers, to boost their signal if the satellite signal is impaired in any way. Being in Massachusetts, I can only imagine you have enough terrestrial towers to aid in your signal, but, maybe in your area, they are light on towers.....

--Duckman

Steviej:

I haven't experienced the same clutter you have when it is cloudy/stormy etc.... I know of one bridge that I pass under that the XM signal disappears until I reach the other side, but not during storms. My office desk XM radio doesn't seem to have any issues either.

Now, XM radio uses a series of "Terrestrial" towers, much like cell phone towers, to boost their signal if the satellite signal is impaired in any way. Being in Massachusetts, I can only imagine you have enough terrestrial towers to aid in your signal, but, maybe in your area, they are light on towers.....

--Duckman

then maybe that is it. I do notice that where I have no XM (assuming it was trees) I also have one (two max) bars of reception if any signal at all on my cell phone. I guess AT&T hasn't got all of their 5 bars on the coast.

steviej