Need Warranty Advice Urgently

SkipABeat

I am in Canada, and I bought my first Lexus (2004 LS430) yesterday. The car is in the US, and I will be importing it to Canada. The car was put into service July 9, 2004 so in a few days the bumper to bumper will expire. The car has less than 20K miles, and I am wondering if I can purchase an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty before the original coverage expires.

I understand the powertrain warranty will still be valid for 6 yrs/70,000 miles so I am ok with it.

I would like to thank in advance everyone who reads and replies to my urgent call for help. :)

I am in Canada, and I bought my first Lexus (2004 LS430) yesterday. The car is in the US, and I will be importing it to Canada. The car was put into service July 9, 2004 so in a few days the bumper to bumper will expire. The car has less than 20K miles, and I am wondering if I can purchase an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty before the original coverage expires.

I understand the powertrain warranty will still be valid for 6 yrs/70,000 miles so I am ok with it.

I would like to thank in advance everyone who reads and replies to my urgent call for help. :)

My opinion. Unless there is existing problems an extended warranty would be a waste of money. You can contact any Lexus dealer and get an answer to your question.

Just make sure that any existing issues are fixed under the existing 4 yr /50K warranty before it expires in a few days. Look for any little issue - no matter how small - and require that it be fixed. For example, there was a tiny amount of debri behind a climate control window of the 2000 LS400 I bought in 2003 and a new climate control module was installed under the basic warranty.

Also, make sure that all outstanding TISB's have been applied. Most Lexus dealers will gladly show you the list and tell you which ones have been applied to your car since doing TISB work provides them with significant revenue.

I've been driving Lexus LS cars for over 18 years and have never regretted not buying an extended warranty.

Unless you are buying a car with known issues that would be covered by an extended warranty, put the money you would have spent on an extended warranty into a reserve fund for normal maintenance and repairs.

I recently retired from a large insurance company that sells extended service warranties through auto dealers. Although I did not work in the warranty business unit, I have to say that working for a company that sells a product of such questionable value made me uncomfortable. I suspect that the extended service warranty market will continue to decline as consumers become more informed on how little value extended warranties provide.