Should My Car Seem Bogged Down With The Air On

newlexman

Hello

I have finally got my air going. I have two concerns. When I turn on the reman compressor, it runs loud enough to hear if you pull down your windows. You can here the sound raise and lower with acceleration. Im wondering is this normal.

Also , when I turn it on i noticeably feel the car bogging down slightly as if someone tried to slow the car down. Is it normal to feel a slight change in power on a 1991 ls 400 with the air on.

Thanks

No!

One of the things I love about my ls is that you cannot really tell when the ac is on. From an acceleration standpoint, or noise (well a little). Every car I've owned up to the ls400 would pause, shudder, bog down, or hesitate on A/C.

The ls should not. You may be able to hear the comp. but not much. Maybe at idle w/ the window down.

Sounds like the re-built wasn't rebuilt too well.

I'd check:

1-Amperage draw- could be a bad connection/ ground issue -check if it is within spec.

2-Oil charge- make sure the comp is not working overtime-- low oil will burn it out quickly. The whining on acceleration sounds like a low / no oil issue. Takes a lot of oil. Ask reman how much. Comp's need to come loaded with oil (the right oil for your refrigerent --r12-mineral oil-- 134- (pag or ester?). They are NOT compatible. Make sure comp was charged w/ oil when installed. May need more.

3- make sure ac low side pressure is somewhere in the 25-35psig range at idle after a couple minutes. This changes upon ambient outside temp. Add a refrigerent charge if low. What refrigerant are you using? Above is for r-12. Google: r12 a/c pt chart.

Idle should auto bump up, upon engaging a/c.

Check for leaks. Don't assume a new system does not leak. Do it before warranty runs out.

Sounds like another bad a/c job done by amateurs.

Save that compressor!

No!

One of the things I love about my ls is that you cannot really tell when the ac is on. From an acceleration standpoint, or noise (well a little). Every car I've owned up to the ls400 would pause, shudder, bog down, or hesitate on A/C.

The ls should not. You may be able to hear the comp. but not much. Maybe at idle w/ the window down.

I'd check:

1-Amperage draw- could be a bad connection/ ground issue -check if it is within spec.

2-Oil charge- make sure the comp is not working overtime-- low oil will burn it out quickly. The whining on acceleration sounds like a low / no oil issue. Takes a lot of oil. Ask reman how much. Comp's need to come loaded with oil (the right oil for your refrigerent --r12-mineral oil-- 134- (pag or ester?). They are NOT compatible. Make sure comp was charged w/ oil when installed. May need more.

3- make sure ac low side pressure is somewhere in the 25-35psig range at idle after a couple minutes. This changes upon ambient outside temp. Add a refrigerent charge if low. What refrigerant are you using? Above is for r-12. Google: r12 a/c pt chart.

Check for leaks. Don't assume a new system does not leak. Do it before warranty runs out.

Save that compressor!

It does bump up upon engaging. r134 . I will find out how much oil in system.

No!

I'd check:

Save that compressor!

Talked with mechanic he said compressor was full of oil and he added two ounces. He said he can try to add more if i want but he thought that would be enough. I want to know what you think. Air blows well, just that slight wine or humm when i turn on compressor. car seems harder to accelerate when the air is on. I will have him check pressure but he said he checked it and it was fine before he gave me the car back. I will also have to have it checked for the ground and amps.

No!

I'd check:

Save that compressor!

Talked with mechanic he said compressor was full of oil and he added two ounces. He said he can try to add more if i want but he thought that would be enough. I want to know what you think. Air blows well, just that slight wine or humm when i turn on compressor. car seems harder to accelerate when the air is on. I will have him check pressure but he said he checked it and it was fine before he gave me the car back. I will also have to have it checked for the ground and amps.

No!

I'd check:

Save that compressor!

No!

I'd check:

Save that compressor!

I had a reman on another car (not a Lexus) and it was noisy too and pulled the motor down a bit. Sounds like it's just a low quality reman.

No!

I'd check:

Save that compressor!

I had a reman on another car (not a Lexus) and it was noisy too and pulled the motor down a bit. Sounds like it's just a low quality reman.

I hope not for 500 dollars

Hello

I have finally got my air going. I have two concerns. When I turn on the reman compressor, it runs loud enough to hear if you pull down your windows. You can here the sound raise and lower with acceleration. Im wondering is this normal.

Also , when I turn it on i noticeably feel the car bogging down slightly as if someone tried to slow the car down. Is it normal to feel a slight change in power on a 1991 ls 400 with the air on.

Thanks

nope...sounds like the bearings are binding on the compressor.. requiring mor force to get it turning.. could just be the a/c clutch either way my ls400 year 1993 you cant even tell when the a/c is running. check how many amps it draws..on the data plate of the compressor it will tell you the fla. full load amps.. compressors are damm expensive..dont stand for inferior product!! good luck. sean