First Sc Rough Running

jdish

Hey all, Ok, I have been plugging away on my first sc400 thanks to all your help the steering wheel moves up and down in and out, the steering has no more play in it, found the water leaks and repaired. Car was running good and after a while started to run a little rough like it was missing at low speed, higher revs it ran great, changed spark plugs, cleaned the caps and rotors (ordered new ones) Started the car before I put the intake tube back on and the engine light came on, turned the car off, pulled the battery, put the tube back on and now it runs like it has half power. Any ideas? I tried to pull the ECU fuse by the kick panel ( think it was in position 13) but it didn't help, I read about changing the fuel filter, may look at that next and currently have the battery pulled to reset. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks AGAIN!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I replaced the caps and rotors, put it all back together, plugged the battery back in, replaced the fuel filter still is running like it is low on power, the exhaust sounds louder when I rev it up like it's not running on all 8, no smoke out of the exhaust. There is something dripping down and burning though from the back of the motor. Can anyone offer any advice? I just don't get how it would start to lose power and get worse, the only major thing I can think I did was try and start it without the air intake on. (Forgot to do that before I started it last time) Engine light is not on at this time.

Thanks

Jared

Ok, I replaced the caps and rotors, put it all back together, plugged the battery back in, replaced the fuel filter still is running like it is low on power, the exhaust sounds louder when I rev it up like it's not running on all 8, no smoke out of the exhaust. There is something dripping down and burning though from the back of the motor. Can anyone offer any advice? I just don't get how it would start to lose power and get worse, the only major thing I can think I did was try and start it without the air intake on. (Forgot to do that before I started it last time) Engine light is not on at this time.

Thanks

Jared

My SC400 blew the timing belt. After that got fixed, I got a leak between the motor and the tranny. My mechanic dropped the tranny and found one of the rear freeze plugs blown. Not sure if you're having the same leak, and possibly have an engine block issue. My engine was running fine, just the freeze plug had blown.

I am thinking that it may be a relay from what I was reading in other posts, I need to find the right one to reset unless the battery pulled would have done it all and I am just missing something.

Plus the burning smelled more like oil then antifreeze burning.

Thanks Though!

Ok, changed all the vacuum hoses, looked around at everything, don't think the coils are bad, started it up and noticed that the Tach goes down instead of up, car still runs rough, wondering if I didn't get something reversed, any ideas on that one?

Thanks!

Ok, changed all the vacuum hoses, looked around at everything, don't think the coils are bad, started it up and noticed that the Tach goes down instead of up, car still runs rough, wondering if I didn't get something reversed, any ideas on that one?

Thanks!

Ok, Now that I figured out my dumb A$$ mistake, I had put the coil wire on the 7 plug position and the 7 on the coil, needless to say the coil was bad! Replaced and it started up and ran like a champ, now though it is back to where it was and runs great for a few miles, then it runs rough in low RPM, when I open it up and it catches up it runs awesome. It does seem to run fine when it is in park and like I said it started out fine in drive but then started running worse when it warmed up. Any ideas on that one?

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

Ok, Now that I figured out my dumb A$$ mistake, I had put the coil wire on the 7 plug position and the 7 on the coil, needless to say the coil was bad! Replaced and it started up and ran like a champ, now though it is back to where it was and runs great for a few miles, then it runs rough in low RPM, when I open it up and it catches up it runs awesome. It does seem to run fine when it is in park and like I said it started out fine in drive but then started running worse when it warmed up. Any ideas on that one?

What mods do you have?

Thanks!

I haven't read this post in a while, but have you replaced all your Plugs, wires, and rotor? Oh, did you notice any moisture build-up in the coil chamber?

Thanks!

Hello......I have the same "Rough Running at low Rpm" on my 92 sc300....did you ever find the problem ?????