Top Speed?

Just curious, has anyone tried to find out what top speed is yet? I was headed west going into Nashville last month and a RX xxx (going so fast I couldn't see what it was) and Porsche Cayenne passed me like I was standing still.

I saw a post from someone in Montana that was talking about long straight flat roads and figure someone had to be curious enough to try it.

In case somebody jumps on me and says I should try it. I said I'm curious not nuts :D besides I live in a large metropolitan area nowhere to test it.

Lenny

I work Sunday mornings when all of L.A. is still asleep...well, a good deal of the city is off the road. One saucy Sunday morning I was feelin' a wee bit naughty and I hit the gas when I was at about 75 and in no time and as smooth as silk, I was at 105. I dared not push it any further. I knew it was still humming and could go faster but it was great! I quickly and bashfully dropped down to my normal, conservative 65. I have driven the RX350 and it hesitates too much by comparison when on the freeway and I just can't go back to a "regular" car again! Anyway, 105 is my answer.... I have a speed limiter...on ME! Be careful! Rey

post-26996-1214696464_thumb.jpg

I've seen both 112 and 124 MPH top speeds published, but here's something you may not know.....(from a Car & Driver article after an acceleration run on a full battery)

The 0-to-60 time dropped to 6.6 seconds — matching a 340-hp Porsche Cayenne S — and the quarter-mile to 15.2 seconds at 94 mph, only 0.2 second and 1 mph slower than the Cayenne.

Now THAT's impressive, given the HUGE disparity of fuel mileage between these two vehicles!

And by the way, using Car & Driver's calculations and the current price of gasoline here in the US, it will take a new RX400h owner less than 46,000 miles before the increase in efficiency starts paying dividends. For many folks, that's less than 4 years of driving. And the more traffic you encounter, the faster the payoff. Just today, we were stuck in I-5 traffic for more than 30 minutes. During most of that time, the engine was off. It sure is nice having a hybrid!

And by the way, using Car & Driver's calculations and the current price of gasoline here in the US, it will take a new RX400h owner less than 46,000 miles before the increase in efficiency starts paying dividends. For many folks, that's less than 4 years of driving.

More like two years in my case! I've got 40K on my 21 month old 400h. No mechanical problems and a respectable 26mpg on average. What could be better than Cayenne-like performance, excellent reliability, and great fuel economy? Thanks Lexus!