Brake Rotors

spyshot

I want to replace my brake rotors but I have several questions.

What is better, drilled or slotted or both (both looks cool)?

I read in another post about drilling causing warpage?

If you slot or drill a rotor, can it be turned later on?

Is there a rotor that won't rust and look bad? I understand that when ordinary rotors are used they don't look rusted, but what about the slots on slotted rotors? I would think that the slots would rust and they would not get cleaned out by the pad?

I'm basically doing this for looks. I like the look of a slotted/drilled rotor. I don't really NEED extra stopping power, though being able to stop fast is never a bad idea.

Thanks for any input!!!

I want to replace my brake rotors but I have several questions.

What is better, drilled or slotted or both (both looks cool)?

I read in another post about drilling causing warpage?

If you slot or drill a rotor, can it be turned later on?

Is there a rotor that won't rust and look bad? I understand that when ordinary rotors are used they don't look rusted, but what about the slots on slotted rotors? I would think that the slots would rust and they would not get cleaned out by the pad?

I'm basically doing this for looks. I like the look of a slotted/drilled rotor. I don't really NEED extra stopping power, though being able to stop fast is never a bad idea.

Thanks for any input!!!

Try searching this site for "drilled rotors" or "slotted rotors". There are many posts and many opinions on the subject.

Drilled rotors are ok, it's just that you have to spend a ton of money on a good set in order for them be any good and last any amount of real time. If your gonna try a save a few bucks on em, then skip it, and just go with slotted. Which are really better for the street anyway.

Drilled rotors are ok, it's just that you have to spend a ton of money on a good set in order for them be any good and last any amount of real time. If your gonna try a save a few bucks on em, then skip it, and just go with slotted. Which are really better for the street anyway.

why are drilled rotors considered noy so good?

what about the rusting thing?

why are drilled rotors considered noy so good?

what about the rusting thing?

I didn't say they were not so good, I said they are more for track use, and if you want a good set, you'll have to spend a ton of money on it. The only real advantage on the street for drilled rotors is reduced weight. there is less spinning mass, so advantage goes to drilled rotors. And on the track, drilled rotors do remove more outgassing, and dissipate alot more heat, but there is no way your using your brakes that often and that hard on the street to be able to need that much. When we track race, we replace rotors based on hours of usage, and mm. thickness. And they are replaced regularly. That's why they have 2 peice rotors to help cut the replacement costs down.

for the street, vented and slotted are more than sufficient. If you want more braking ability, then go to steel braided brake lines also, or step up to a larger caliper.

As for the rust thing, all rotor faces rust. And if you spend enouph money on them, then you can afford to have the holes powder coated black, red, yellow or whatever. And if there is any rust in the holes, if your driving the car regularly, then it's not really a problem. Mine are usually spinning to fast for anyone to see them anyway. LOL!!! I have alot of friends that have drilled rotors, but most of them spend $3K or more on em and do it for the looks. I think it's a waste, but whatever.