Gs Styling Vs. M35 Vs. 5 Series Vs. Rl Vs. A6

I don't get why so many 'professional' automotive journalists pan the GS, place it 3rd or 4th in all the major 'comparo' tests. They always hate the handling, call the ride 'jiggly and annoying' which may be due to standard run-flats, but usually say the styling is dull. They go on to praise the M35's styling, which is total bs. he M35 looks tall, awkward, and has the worst looking !Removed! since Rosie Odonnel.

If you park all 5 competitors together, there's no way a sane person could claim any of them looked better than the G. It's got that classic long hood short deck stance with the big swoopy cabin and nicely chiseled front end. The near fast back styling rocks.

The 5 looks like the designer Chris Bangle got ahold of some bad acid before he drew it, and then clay modeler might have had a bad ice cube or two in his drink prior to transforming it to 3 dimensions. It's godawful. The only reason the 5 sells is it's a BMW, and those blue propeller status addicts will buy anything with the right logo. Even a Bangle Mangle.

The RL is nice, balanced, and generic. The A6 is the only other good shape, but it seems like we've seen it around for a long time.

What the hell? Why doesn't the G get props for it's looks? Am I blind?

Hi, Love our GS460 and couldn't agree with you more! I'm tired of hearing about how great the Infiniti M is. We drove it and the ride was rough and the sound system didn't come close to the Levinson partly due to the loud rode noise. BMW 5, well I have to admit I sure liked the handling, but pop my 460 into "sport" and it comes close without the bothersome idrive! Too many of the posts are complaints...let's hear it from others who love their GS460!! Our summer vacation is designed around winding roads just so we can enjoy our new car. Thank you Lexus!

Hi, Love our GS460 and couldn't agree with you more! I'm tired of hearing about how great the Infiniti M is. We drove it and the ride was rough and the sound system didn't come close to the Levinson partly due to the loud rode noise. BMW 5, well I have to admit I sure liked the handling, but pop my 460 into "sport" and it comes close without the bothersome idrive! Too many of the posts are complaints...let's hear it from others who love their GS460!! Our summer vacation is designed around winding roads just so we can enjoy our new car. Thank you Lexus!

what is your real world gas mileage with the 460?

I test drove all those car when I was car shopping 4 months ago, look wise it came down to the GS and the A6. The A6 was a bit slow for a car in this price range and cost more than $10K when equiped with similar options. The M was ok, looks kind of plain and the ride was too stiff and again the V6 is under power and poor gas mileage. The 5 series was ugly looking inside and out, handles great and as quick as the GS, but I wont paid $10K to deal with the i-drive and that funky gear shift. Finally the RL, a great handling car but thats about it. Looks like a Honda Accord and the interior looks like star trek, not much to like. I guess thats why out of the 5 listed by OP, the RL sells the least.

Its all opinions. Magazines have had a slant for German cars since they've been in print, no secret about that.

I like the M a lot, I love the interior. Drivewise the GS is smoother I agree.

Of course magazine editors have a slant for German cars, they dont have to pay for the car or fix it down the line. All they have to do is push it to the limit and see which car handles better. Personally, if I were the type who push my car to the limit everyday, I would by a German car too.

Styling is all about personal preference. Having said that, my last car was a 545i with the sport package/shadowline trim in orient blue and i currently drive the GS350 in opaline pearl. I think both cars are attractive but I slightly prefer the look of the BMW 5 series with shadowline trim over the look of the GS350 with the chrome accents.

However, I've been getting more admirers and positive comments from strangers than when i was driving the BMW. I think this is due to the fewer number of 3rd gen GSs on the road in southern california vs. the bmw 5 series and also because the color i'm driving, opaline pearl, looks exceptionally good on the GS350.

No Esteban, its because the GS actually looks much better than the BMW 5 series :) The current BMW 5 series is one of the uglist 5 series that I can remember. The angles are way too shape and the tail lights looks like an eye from a japanese cartoon character. The interior is typical boring BMW style and please dont get me started on that moronic I-drive and that space ship gear shifter.