Guages Not Functioning Properly

jasond86

I've found that for some reason, on a very intermittent basis the speedometer and tachometer needles don't move when i start driving, usually a solid tap on the dash while i'm moving makes them work again, but why is it doing this? is this a common issue? and what do i need to do to fix it? this is by no means an urgent problem, but i am pretty curious.

• 2 months later...

I'm right there with you. I haven't found info elsewhere yet, i started here. Some days I don't get up past 30 mph for several blocks and have no idea how fast I'm going. The speedometer seems to come back between 30-40mph. Sometimes the tach is dead too. Or only the tach is dead and the speedometer works. I'm not sure why it annoys me so much, but I almost feel sorry for the car, it looks dead with the needles like that. Every time I want to show someone, it works again. My mechanic already warned me that it will be in the dash.

I love my car, I love my car, I love my car . . . . .

• 2 weeks later...
I'm right there with you. I haven't found info elsewhere yet, i started here. Some days I don't get up past 30 mph for several blocks and have no idea how fast I'm going. The speedometer seems to come back between 30-40mph. Sometimes the tach is dead too. Or only the tach is dead and the speedometer works. I'm not sure why it annoys me so much, but I almost feel sorry for the car, it looks dead with the needles like that. Every time I want to show someone, it works again. My mechanic already warned me that it will be in the dash.

It is a common problem. I have a same promblem and found a guy who will fix the problem if you take the dashboard apart and ship it to him. If you haven't found the solution, write me an e-mail and I will forward his e-mail address to you.

cmk033@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the Sunshine state also!Mine does the same thing although it is less frequent than when I bought my 95 a few months ago.Slight smack on the top of dash usually wakes it up.I probably look like I have anger management issues though driving down the road hitting my dash.LOL

This is a very common problem with the early to mid-90's LS models. However, it is not related to the capacitor problem which causes the non-illumination of the dash display during colder weather.

The sticking needles usually occur during the summer months. Several months ago, a poster on one of the Lexus forums posted the cause of the problem and a fix for it.

The problem is caused by a lubricant which is on the stops which the tachometer and speedometer needles rest against when the needles are zeroed. During the summer months, this lubricant liquifies and creates a vaccum which is strong enough to keep the needles from moving. The rap on the dash over the needles breaks the vaccum and allows the needles to move.

The fix for the problem involves removing the dash display and removing enough components to allow access to the rear of the needles. Using a q-tip, clean the lubricant off the stops and the needles.

My 93 has had this problem for at least three or four years. My intention is to do the fix discussed above; however, the problem has not been so severe this year. Our weather in the south has been a bit cooler this summer, and the needles have not been sticking as often. And, every time they have, a rap on the dash has got them going.