At What Milage To Replace Struts 1998 Ls400

mxboy57

Hey Everyone. I am new to the forum and have a question. I have searched for I while on this topic but have not found what I am looking for.

I drive a 1998 LS400 that has always been well maintined and is still in great condition. My grandpa was the previous owner and sold it to me with about 65,000 miles. I now have about 117,000 and noticed that the ride is getting harsher and just not what it should be. I am wondering if I should replace the struts. What milage is recomended to change them and does anyone have an idea of what it would cost. I live in louisiana so it has been driven on fairly rough roads for much of its life. Thanks for your help!

In my 18+ years of driving LS400s, I have never seen a mileage or time recommendation for changing shock absorbers. They often last the life of the car. I'm pretty sure that the LS400 I bought in 1990 is still on the original struts at over 250,000 miles - I sold it at 183,000 miles and the current owner usually tells me when he replaces things. Heck, the shock aborbers never wore out on the lowly 86 Honda Accord my wife bought new and which was in the family until about 250K miles and for about 15 years.

Have you looked at the tires?

It could be a lot of things, ball joints, worn bushings, etc. The thing its least likely to be is struts.

Is it looseness over bumps?

Have you looked at the tires?

It could be a lot of things, ball joints, worn bushings, etc. The thing its least likely to be is struts.

Is it looseness over bumps?

yeah it could be described as looseness over bumps. It is also loud over bumps inside the cabin which is something that didn't happen when I first got the car. The ride is just not as good as it used to be and I am trying to find a way to bring it back.

Other things you could have checked is the strut bat cushion. Check your control arm bushings and make sure the camber bolts are tight. Also check the front swaybar bushings and end-links checked for play.