Engine Service Light On

bluewaters

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and lexus world. Have a 99 RX300 Lexus. My engine service light has been on for a few weeks. Not sure what the cause is. Based on some information I read on this forum, it could be the gas cap or some sensors....

Just a note, I lost my original gas cap and replaced it with another one (non-lexus). The trouble is I can't remember if the light came on before the gas cap was changed or after (been having a very busy few weeks)

Here are some of my questions:

1. Is the price of a part at dealership the same as part shops (lets say it was the senors that had issues)?

2. Where is the best place to have the car checked and fixed in Toronto, Canada area(GTA)? (thinking other than dealership)

3. What is the estimated cost I should be expecting at dealership or a mechanic shop?

4. Is there a cost associated and how much for a dealership to look at the car and tell me what's wrong with it?

Please note, there is no warranty on this car and I have owned it only for about 6 months. Also, being a female and not knowing much about cars doesn't help my situation ;-)

Thanks in advance for your advice and feel free to email me if you know of a good place to take my car to.

If you have the Service Engine light and not the Check Engine light, that could be something as simple as your car reaching the 5000 mile engine oil reminder. That is all it is on my 05 330. The Service Engine reminder comes on at 5000 mile intervals, from the last reset, only as a reminder, not as a tell-tale that something is wrong. I don't know about the 300 but on my 330 you put the key in the ignition, then, while holding down the odometer reset button, turn the key to run (not start) and after about 5 or so seconds the reminder goes out.

Try it and let us know how it came out.

Now, if you have the Check Engine light, then your diagnostics are telling you something.

If you have the Service Engine light and not the Check Engine light, that could be something as simple as your car reaching the 5000 mile engine oil reminder. That is all it is on my 05 330. The Service Engine reminder comes on at 5000 mile intervals, from the last reset, only as a reminder, not as a tell-tale that something is wrong. I don't know about the 300 but on my 330 you put the key in the ignition, then, while holding down the odometer reset button, turn the key to run (not start) and after about 5 or so seconds the reminder goes out.

Try it and let us know how it came out.

Now, if you have the Check Engine light, then your diagnostics are telling you something.

My 99 RX doesn't have a "service " engine light so I assume OP's doesn't either. Need to go to your local service station and get the codes read. Autozone will do this for free.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and lexus world. Have a 99 RX300 Lexus. My engine service light has been on for a few weeks. Not sure what the cause is. Based on some information I read on this forum, it could be the gas cap or some sensors....

Just a note, I lost my original gas cap and replaced it with another one (non-lexus). The trouble is I can't remember if the light came on before the gas cap was changed or after (been having a very busy few weeks)

1. Is the price of a part at dealership the same as part shops (lets say it was the senors that had issues)?

2. Where is the best place to have the car checked and fixed in Toronto, Canada area(GTA)? (thinking other than dealership)

3. What is the estimated cost I should be expecting at dealership or a mechanic shop?

4. Is there a cost associated and how much for a dealership to look at the car and tell me what's wrong with it?

Please note, there is no warranty on this car and I have owned it only for about 6 months. Also, being a female and not knowing much about cars doesn't help my situation ;-)

Thanks in advance for your advice and feel free to email me if you know of a good place to take my car to.

Take it too a Autozone or Car parts place that does free checks, they will give you the codes, and then give us the codes, then we can give you a better idea of what is up....

Usually under the drivers steering wheel area, down by the gas and brake pedals under the bottom side of the dash.

I also have a '99 RX300. If you go to any Autozone or Checker and have them pull the code, you can track down the issue... if that code happens to be a P0446, EVAP related code, then that often relates to the charcoal canister in the EVAP system.... and often it's a phantom signal, meaning it shows up, then goes away. There's a TSB (Toyota Service Bulletin) on this problem. From everything I've read, it is fixable by replacing the charcoal canister, but the cheapest quote I've had on the part alone is ~$400... and it's a in a location that's a bit tight to get to. It doesn't effect the performance of the vehicle.

Check the code and let us know what it is.

Hello again,

First let me correct myself and let you know the check the engine light is on not the serive light. (my mistake)

Also, thanks to each one of you, who responded to my post. We do not have autozone in canada. I'm sure there are lots of other companies who would provide the same service (other than dealership), but I don't know about.

I'm going to do some digging and find out where can I take the car just to get the codes, and then take it from there. But please don't stop the replies. Feel free to ad and additional and helpful informaiton.

bluewaters...

Just call your Local autoparts stores and ask them if they do a free obII scan. If they do then you are in business.

hmmm....used non-Lexus gas cap and have CEL. I don't know what type of replacement gas cap you used but If it were me I would suspect it first. I don't know what your time is worth but it might be cheaper, easier and quicker to try another cap rather than trying to find someone to read the codes for you. Caps are cheap. From $3.46 for a Gates at Rock Auto to $15 for a genuine Lexus at newlexusparts.com. Cheaper yet, if you have a friend wuth a RX borrow the cap and try it. You also may want to try resetting the light by pulling the EFI fuse for a few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

Gas cup at LExus Dealership is 25.50 in NJ, trenton area.

After market cup may cause P0446 code due to the unique setting of the vaccum valve.

Code reader OBDII cost about $70 on E-bay and will pay for itself quickly.

Dealer service is $600 for the vapor canister replacement, which also may be an issue as well as cracked or clogged hose in the vapor system.