2008 Is - Scraped Bottom

Greetings...

Looking for advice. I've had my new IS250 for 1 week and encountered a nasty speed hump. Upon inspection, I noticed what would seem to be a minor ding/scrape on the exhaust right below the front passenger seat. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks!

Greetings...

Looking for advice. I've had my new IS250 for 1 week and encountered a nasty speed hump. Upon inspection, I noticed what would seem to be a minor ding/scrape on the exhaust right below the front passenger seat. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks!

Hello fellow newb!

IMO, as long as it is only a minor ding, it shouldn't be a problem. Back in the day, when I had my '67 Camaro, I had to purposely ding the exhaust for clearance around the 'A' arm, and it had no adverse effect... however, I think that I would be inclined to check the nearby connections, make sure that the bolts are still tight. Any change in the way the exhaust sounds?

Greetings...

Thanks!

Hello fellow newb!

IMO, as long as it is only a minor ding, it shouldn't be a problem. Back in the day, when I had my '67 Camaro, I had to purposely ding the exhaust for clearance around the 'A' arm, and it had no adverse effect... however, I think that I would be inclined to check the nearby connections, make sure that the bolts are still tight. Any change in the way the exhaust sounds?

Thanks.... I've not noticed anything unusual. It drives just as it did when I pulled out of the dealer lot and I haven't heard any strange noises. When I try to move the exhaust pipe at the scrape location, it won't budge (a good sign I presume).

Welcome to the LOC!

Sounds to me as if you should be fine, nothing to worry about.

Welcome to the LOC!

Sounds to me as if you should be fine, nothing to worry about.

Would you be concerned about the scrape on the black rubbery material next to the downpipe (the black underside of the car)? I would presume that sealing the scrape wouldn't be necessary, but then again, I really don't have a clue about this sort of thing.

Thanks...

No, I mean if you want to buy some undercoating from your local automotive store and spray that spot you can, but I don't think it should be necassary. Even though this is your first scrape, I would bet it won't be the last. Undercoating should only cost about 2 or 3 dollars. Don't get it on the pipe though, it will just burn it over time. Maybe as time goes by just keep an eye on it and see if rust developes.

One other question- is it safe to assume that it would take an extremely severe scrape to damage the IS frame? At what speed would you have to hit a speed bump to be worried about it?

I just returned from the dealership and the tech called the scrape "cosmetic." I'm not sure how closely he inspected the undercarriage and I know he didn't drive the car. Granted there is no vibration and the ride is as smooth as it's always been. I know I'm being hypersensitive about the whole thing- guess it's expected when I've had the car only a week!

I've lowered alot of cars, and I have scraped more than a fair amount of them. IT sounds alot more terrible then it really is. For it to be bad enouph for a real repair, I would say you would have to see significant torn metal or a hole, or welds that have been ripped apart or cracked. Other than that, I'm sure your ok.