Help - Should I Buy This Rx330?

Seven57

Hello all....obviously this is my first post in this forum, but I am in need of some advice from those who have first hand knowledge of Lexus and specifically the RX330.

I am looking at a 2004 RX330. In fact, this is the exact one if you care to check the pictures: http://www.autolandsf.com/show.aspx?vid=868309

Now that being said there are a few variances from the website. They list it with 75k on the odo, but in reality it is just over 79 as the owner of the dealership has been letting his wife drive it for the past year and she has racked up some miles.

I have driven it, and although the tires were a tad on the loud side there were no other major issues. It is missing a small piece of trim on the passenger side rear window, but that can easily be replaced. The interior is clean, and there are no major scratches or dents. There was one minor ding in the rear passenger quarter panel but they did paintless dent repair (PDR) on that and it looks perfect.

The interior is clean with no major defects - and the label to tell you how to insert the CDs in the changer is still attached - so honestly I would swear it has 30k on the clock by looking at the interior....surely not 80k.

So my question is....does this look like a good buy for the money? I have to be honest I have never owned a Lexus or even a Toyota although I know they are reliable. However, after reading some of the topics on this forum I do worry about the transmission - especially since this is creeping upon 80,000 miles.

So - any and all opinions are welcome, and if there are any questions I could answer about this just ask.

Thanks!

The only really good piece of advice I can give you is to suggest you run a CARFAX on the vehicle (or any vehicle) before you purchase it. The $20 for the membership is nothing compared to the information you can get. It will tell you if it's been in an accident, if it's had any major service, if it's been in a flood, and much more. It doesn't catch all the history, but just being able to see how many previous owners is a huge plus... you can also see where (geographically) the car has resided. It's always a red-flag for me when a car spends its whole life in some place like Florida and then magically shows up at a dealer in the Pacific Northwest (last time that happened they were trying to hide that it was a flood victim vehicle... the Carfax was 'clean', but it showed it was a car from Florida... when I looked in the engine and wheel wells I could see corrosion in places it shouldn't be: on the wheels hubs, brake calipers, lower in the engine, aluminum components corroded, etc.).

I have run an AutoCheck on it (similar to CarFax) and it showed the history. It was a one owner car from a neighboring state at which time it was traded and then it appears this dealer has had it for about a year or so, so that makes me feel pretty good about it, but I still have concerns about buying a car with 80k on the clock.

I guess there is always a little gamble when you purchase a used vehicle - so I either need to take a chance or just walk away. If we had a Lexus dealer in the area I would perhaps feel a little better, but as it sits I would need to rely upon the Toyota dealer for all service work, and frankly I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.

If this thing had 50,000 miles as opposed to almost 80,000.....I think I would have jumped on it already. Decisions, decisions.

Personally, I've always bought higher mileage vehicles, since I rack up the miles on them. My theory is that on a higher-end luxury car, most owners who put out the money for it when it's new will also put in the time/money/effort to keep it maintained and running well. I also think that if a vehicle has any major issues, as in something not right in the intial build quality, it should show up within the first 40K-50K miles. If nothing shows up, and the vehicle has been running strong for a couple years and for a decent amount of miles, then it's probably pretty solid and has many more trouble-free miles to go.

You can tell a lot about a car from inspection. It's the little things that show how the car has been maintained, for the big things are cleaned up by the dealer when they go to resell. If the engine compartment looks like it has some old, static dirt deposited in it, but looks untouched, it probably hasn't been messed with. If the engine compartment is 'too clean', someone might have had their hands in there.

You can also tell a lot about a car when driving it. Drive it slow, coast in neutral... drive along a building (to get the sound to reflect back) slow or in neutral... drive over bumps both slow and fast. The car will talk to you if something is wrong or worn.

Also look for documentation. I bought a '99 RX300 with 114K on the clock. BUT, it had it's maintenance book still in the documents pouch and it had a Lexus dealership stamp for every single inspection, oil change, and maintenance record. It also passed a clean Carfax, and I trusted the car lot I was working with. I got a really nice ride that's been great. Unfortunately I just suffered a tranny loss, but that's kind of problematic with the vehicle design, and doesn't mean I bought a 'bad' RX300.

It sounds like you've done your homework, and nothing jumps out at me in the pictures on the dealer's site. I think it comes down to whether or not it's worth it to you. It seems like a decent, well-kept vehicle, and 80K is low mileage to me. Again, if it feels like the right decision for you, then it probably is... plus I think the Toyota dealership should be able to help you with most everything you need... or they can get it from a nearby Lexus dealer.

Good luck.

Have you taken the VIN and asked the selling dealer to do a maintenance report for you? This will tell you what service has been performed on the car. In addition, ask them what the cost of timing belt and water pump change will be. I don't recall the change interval on this car but I am guessing it is at 100000 miles.

Gary

Have you taken the VIN and asked the selling dealer to do a maintenance report for you? This will tell you what service has been performed on the car. In addition, ask them what the cost of timing belt and water pump change will be. I don't recall the change interval on this car but I am guessing it is at 100000 miles.

Gary

They are a small used car dealer and don't have access to that info....I could possibly call a Lexus dealer and hope they have something on file, but the nearest Lexus dealer is around 2 1/2 hours from here so most of the maintenace on the vehicle was most likely done somewhere else.

I guess at the end of the day I'm just hesitant because of the mileage. I have an Audi with 72k on it now and it is starting to require more frequent trips to the shop and if I trade to a different car with even higher mileage, there is a chance it will be simply trading one problem for another.

I still want to find a nice RX, but my gut tells me to pass on this one and to keep looking. I just think I would feel much better knowing I have some amount of warranty on whatever I buy....even if it is only 12,000 miles or 12 months.

If you run your own carfax it will tell you when the vehicle was made, what dealership took delivery of the vehicle, and when the first title was issued for registration, and if it was registered by a private party or business. You will also be able to see what county the vehicle was registered to and how many times the car was bought and sold. As well as accident histories. But soemthimes the accident history may be incorrect or not reported. So I only ever use that for a flag.From that report, you can call the dealership that sold it, and have them run a service history for you. And if there is any concern, take the vehicle on a test drive again, and have a mechanic that you know look it over. Get his opinion. Then take it to Carmax and act like your gonna sell it to them and see what price they come back with. It will be a few grand less then your paying obviously, but it should atleast be in the ball park.

I buy and sell cars quite a bit. there are tells I check for very closely. But for the inexperienced car buyer, the steps I listed above are atleast honest answers and should all be answered simularly. If Carmax comes back, sorry, we don't want this car, then neither do you. And if the mechanic points some things out, then you can one, use those to furhter negotiate the price, or two, walk away.

Btw, some of the easy things you can look for are that everything matches. The wear on the seats matches the mileage on the car, all the tires are the same name, and tread wear is even. Missing odd caps and covers. It just gives you a better sense of the previous owners. Is there dried up soda and coffee in the holders? Look under the seat, do see any french fries?

When you do the walk around look for paint on black rubber seals. The manufacturer paints the body panels before any thing goes on them so any paint that is on rubber is obviuosly a tell that the car has been repainted in some area. Which usually means the car was in an accident. So, look for new under parts such as shocks and control arms that are on one tire and not on the rest. That can tell you how bad the accident was.

All good points smooth, and I agree with the paint on the rubber seals as I ran across that in another RX330 I was looking at. It was priced right and had low miles, but the front headline gasket must have failed which led to condensation in the headlight. Upon closer inspection I found the rubber around the headline was painted....and not very well might I add. The paint in that area wasn't as smooth as the rest of the paint and I wouldn't be surprised to learn it was simply some touch up paint from a rattle can.

Needless to say I walked away, because if someone is going to "repair" something like that, who knows how they treated the engine.

If the dealers wife has been driving it for a year, make them pay the registration. Some states will make you pay all of the back reg. even if it's bought from a dealer.

If you've seen some of my post, I'm not thrilled with my 04', but others love theirs. Is it a Canadian or Japan built?

I have an 04 RX330 with 142000 miles on it. A couple of things to consider.

1. You will need the timing belt/water pump at 90,000 miles

2. Check the transmission fluid and see if it smells burnt. If it does don't buy it.

3. There should be a warranty extension to 7 years 90k on the radiator (mine went at 89k)

4. There is a warranty extension on the back up camera (if it has one)

5. There was a recall on the brake booster

6. Look at the brake fluid in the master cylinder. If it is very dark it may have never been flushed.

7. Check the vin number if it starts with a 2 it is a Canadian made RX if it starts with a J it was made in Japan. The Japan made ones will have easier to get cheaper brake rotors. The canadian made ones have front rotors only made by Brembo (factory replacements) or Raybestos. and will cost you a few extra bucks. ( the brembos are $170 each)

8. Check the boots on the drive shafts

9. If the battery hasn't been replaced it will need one soon.

10. If you buy it since it is an AWD make sure you service the transfer case & rear differential immediately. Both take 80w90 GL5 gear oil and need to be done no later than 80,000 miles.

11. check the struts for leaks.

Go to a Lexus dealer and see how much they will charge you to go over the car & check the vin number and then run a carfax as suggested by others.