My 95 Lexils400 "gears Down"

From 1995 Lexus used OBDII diagnostics which requires a code reader being plugged in to read any fault codes present,this will then give you an idea of where the problem is,do you have any warning lights coming up?.

Also check the transmission fluid level ( details in handbook) to ensure it is correct and also check the colour of the fluid on the dipstick it should be cherry red.

As the problem is throttle related it could be the TPS but this normally gives general running problems at the same time.

Finally welcome to LOC :D

My 1995 Lexus LS400 "gears down" when I let off the gas pedal.

Am I having transmission problems? 115k miles on odo...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Are you sure the trans is really "gearing down"? My '90 and now my '99 LS made me think the same thing at first. For cars I was used to (Fords, CHryslers), when you let off the throttle at freeway speed they allow the torque converter to unlock, so you essentially coast with little or no engine braking. The LS's do not unlock the TC until below about 50mph. It really does feel like a downshift when you let off the gas. Then, at just below 50, the TC unlocks and you coast w/o any engine braking. I learned to like it when I got used to it.

Sorry if I am off-base, just my own observation.

Gene

From 1995 Lexus used OBDII diagnostics which requires a code reader being plugged in to read any fault codes present,this will then give you an idea of where the problem is,do you have any warning lights coming up?.

Also check the transmission fluid level ( details in handbook) to ensure it is correct and also check the colour of the fluid on the dipstick it should be cherry red.

As the problem is throttle related it could be the TPS but this normally gives general running problems at the same time.

Finally welcome to LOC :D

Howdee! I have had this car about 5 months now and I love it!!! I have "learned" to accelarate and decelarate gently so as not to allow the transmission to gear down with a jolt. Unfortunately, when my husband drives, he "floors it", then when he takes his foot off the acelerator the car makes a horrible noise like it is gearing iteslf down and everyone in the car with us says "what is that???" I am not getting any warning lights.....thanks for the info...we will check the tran. fluid level & color, then go from there. PS: I love LOC :D :D :D !!!

Are you sure the trans is really "gearing down"? My '90 and now my '99 LS made me think the same thing at first. For cars I was used to (Fords, CHryslers), when you let off the throttle at freeway speed they allow the torque converter to unlock, so you essentially coast with little or no engine braking. The LS's do not unlock the TC until below about 50mph. It really does feel like a downshift when you let off the gas. Then, at just below 50, the TC unlocks and you coast w/o any engine braking. I learned to like it when I got used to it.

Sorry if I am off-base, just my own observation.

Gene

Howdee! I have only had this car a few months. I thought it was the torque converter, too but it really makes a lot of noise. It does this @ any speed...especially when you drive it like you are racing the INDY500 (like my husband does)...I am going to check the fluids first then possibly check the throttle...we shall see...thanks for the info!! :D :D :D

• 1 month later...

Are you by any chance "coming" from a FWD or F/AWD "previous" car..??

Because of the additional safety aspects(***) of RWD or R/AWD it is not at all unusual for these to have a much more pronounced level of engine braking.

***If road conditions are such (snow..., ICE...!!) that a given level of engine compression braking would/might result in wheel lockup this can potentially be more life threatening in a FWD or F/AWD as opposed to RWD or R/AWD. Whereas with RWD or R/AWD, the effects of engine compression braking occurs, or occurs primarily (R/AWD), at the rear wheels and thus you still have directional, stearing control/correction, available.

So it is not at all unusual in my experience to encounter a significantly higher level of engine compression braking on a RWD platform vs FWD, given otherwise equal aspects, weight, etc.

You might also want to check and make sure your brake lights are not on constantly.

Your LS will ALWAYS unlock the torque converter the instant you touch the brakes (illuminate the brake lights) regardless of road speed.