Sumitomo Tires Vs Bridgestone

CeeCeeRed

I bought this car used a year ago and don't like the road noise, but maybe it is the tires, Goodyear Eagles. Locally I have been told by the tire guy to get Bridgestone Alenza at one shop and the other recommends Sumitomo touring LSV with 70,000 mi tread wear warranty. I read a lot of reviews for the Bridgestone, but nothing about the Sumitomos. Anyone have any information on them? My cost would be a couple of hundred less with the Sumis including a 5 year alignment warranty. Any information appreciated. 2004 RX 330 with 235/55-18. Thanks a bunch. I guess I need all season since we don't have snow here in Hilton Head.

I bought this car used a year ago and don't like the road noise, but maybe it is the tires, Goodyear Eagles. Locally I have been told by the tire guy to get Bridgestone Alenza at one shop and the other recommends Sumitomo touring LSV with 70,000 mi tread wear warranty. I read a lot of reviews for the Bridgestone, but nothing about the Sumitomos. Anyone have any information on them? My cost would be a couple of hundred less with the Sumis including a 5 year alignment warranty. Any information appreciated. 2004 RX 330 with 235/55-18. Thanks a bunch. I guess I need all season since we don't have snow here in Hilton Head.

Since there are no replies to this post, perhaps I should explain a little more clearly my delimma.

I bought a 2004 RX 330 with 18,000 miles on Goodyear Eagle RS/A in January last year. Have put another 7,000 miles on it since then and am told I need tires. I have never liked the road noise from this SUV but was told it is normal. After reading posts here I see that it may have something to do with the tires, so am shopping for replacement tires. The two local tire dealers have given me some choices between Michelin, Bridgestone and Sumitomo. The Sumitomo would be a little less expensive, but I don't see any posts about them. Has anyone had any experience with Sumitomo? These particular tires are not listed on any of the tire websites. They are Sumitomo 235/55 on 18" wheels. I think he said touring lsv, with a 70,000 mile tread warranty. If a tire has that much tread warranty, wouldn't that lead you to believe they would ride harder? I would like a quite riding tire even if it would mean a little less long lasting, since I don't really put much mileage on the car. Thanks for your input.

All of the folks on this site who have tried the Alenzas continue to rave about them (we have them on my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD). They are relatively quiet for a truck/SUV tire, they stick to the road like glue even in heavy rain, and our set still has well more than half the tread remaining at about 31,000 miles. I keep them at 36 to 37 psi yearround. For your required 235/55/18 application, the Alenzas are probably going to be hard to beat. But as you know, they are pricey....

If you really can save a couple of hundred bucks by trying the Sumitomos, seeing that you live in a mild climate they may be worth a try especially if the seller offers a 30-day trial period during which you can bring them back for a full refund if it turns out that you don't like them. The 70,000 mile treadwear warranty is even a little better than the Alenza's 65,000 mile treadwear warranty. I would google "Sumitomo tires" and begin to research them in that manner. I'm all about saving money and $200 is very significant in this case as long as the tires prove to be a good buy after you do the research....

Keep in mind that no SUV or truck will ride as quietly as a sedan. It is heavier, has a higher center of gravity, and must run a tougher, more heavy-duty tire as a result. Go with an all-season tire choice and you'll have your best shot at a quieter ride regardless of which brand of tire you wind up selecting....

Let us know what you uncover. The Alenza is the best known tire application in this particular case, but perhaps that's because no one on this site has given the Sumitomos a chance yet....

All of the folks on this site who have tried the Alenzas continue to rave about them (we have them on my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD). They are relatively quiet for a truck/SUV tire, they stick to the road like glue even in heavy rain, and our set still has well more than half the tread remaining at about 31,000 miles. I keep them at 36 to 37 psi yearround. For your required 235/55/18 application, the Alenzas are probably going to be hard to beat. But as you know, they are pricey....

If you really can save a couple of hundred bucks by trying the Sumitomos, seeing that you live in a mild climate they may be worth a try especially if the seller offers a 30-day trial period during which you can bring them back for a full refund if it turns out that you don't like them. The 70,000 mile treadwear warranty is even a little better than the Alenza's 65,000 mile treadwear warranty. I would google "Sumitomo tires" and begin to research them in that manner. I'm all about saving money and $200 is very significant in this case as long as the tires prove to be a good buy after you do the research....

Keep in mind that no SUV or truck will ride as quietly as a sedan. It is heavier, has a higher center of gravity, and must run a tougher, more heavy-duty tire as a result. Go with an all-season tire choice and you'll have your best shot at a quieter ride regardless of which brand of tire you wind up selecting....

Let us know what you uncover. The Alenza is the best known tire application in this particular case, but perhaps that's because no one on this site has given the Sumitomos a chance yet....

Thanks for your input. I think I will wait a couple of weeks before having those tires put on, and will check to see if there is a return policy. I never knew one could try out a tire for 30 days and then return them. Wow.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to buy 2 Sumitomo LSV tires for the rear. $400 total installed.

There is no web search result for this tire, that I can find. Thread is very deep, seems would be good for FL rain storms.

You're right. High thread rating seems conflicting. And it's V rating. Weird.

The problem is GYear RS/a wears out too quick for me, possibly hot pavement in FL doesn't help.

Since there are no replies to this post, perhaps I should explain a little more clearly my delimma.

I bought a 2004 RX 330 with 18,000 miles on Goodyear Eagle RS/A in January last year. Have put another 7,000 miles on it since then and am told I need tires. I have never liked the road noise from this SUV but was told it is normal. After reading posts here I see that it may have something to do with the tires, so am shopping for replacement tires. The two local tire dealers have given me some choices between Michelin, Bridgestone and Sumitomo. The Sumitomo would be a little less expensive, but I don't see any posts about them. Has anyone had any experience with Sumitomo? These particular tires are not listed on any of the tire websites. They are Sumitomo 235/55 on 18" wheels. I think he said touring lsv, with a 70,000 mile tread warranty. If a tire has that much tread warranty, wouldn't that lead you to believe they would ride harder? I would like a quite riding tire even if it would mean a little less long lasting, since I don't really put much mileage on the car. Thanks for your input.

Having the Sumitomo for about 40 miles now.

I'd say if the RS/A sound is at 5.... then the Sumitomo is between 3-4 quieter, may be closer to 4.

If you like quietness, try Micheline (sp?)

I just bought a set of Yokohama tires ($130ea.) for my 04' RX330 from Tirerack over this past Winter season. The AVID series has been around for long time and I believe that they recently came out with a new size just to fit SUV like my RX330. Therefore I made a quick decision to get a set of four tires for my RX right before it hit 45k miles. Few things I can say about these tires they are doing pretty well in the light snow condition. On the dry road handling is better than the original Michellin tires, especially when making shape turns and braking. In the wet condition, IMO because it has deeper threads for better hydroplaning, so driving thru water on highway no longer an issue for me. BTW, I won't be able to tell if they will last long because I just got them as new, but I can tell you tires really looks wider and sporty!!

235/55VR-18 Yokohama AVID V4S

I have never liked the road noise from this SUV but was told it is normal. After reading posts here I see that it may have something to do with the tires, so am shopping for replacement tires.

Well, remember, this is a Lexus CAR (a camry platform, to be precise) and it should ride like a car if all is well. Of course poor tire selection can make a car ride harshly and noisy, too. I've had Goodyear Integrity tires on the car since new (115,000 miles ago) and the car has always driven smoothy and quietly. I'd be inclined to go with the Alenza tires if ride quality and quietness are important to you.