Battery Pilot Came One For A Sec.

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 93 LS with 112K miles. The car has all records, and it seems to have been serviced religiously. I've put about 2K miles on it already with no problems (except the dash fuel and rmp gauge getting stuck) and today, I noticed that the battery pilot came on for a second... and then went away.. No other indication or anything going wrong. I was going out, and within a minute of starting it, I saw a faint battery pilot come on, and was gone as soon as it came on. I went to records I got from lexus,(print out) and it seems the battery has never been changed (unless it was not done at lexus).

Do you all think I should invest in a new battery? or is it an indication of something like an alternator? I put another 30 miles since, and the light hasn't come one and there is no indication of anything abnormal.... Needless to say, I'm a bit puzzled.

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 93 LS with 112K miles. The car has all records, and it seems to have been serviced religiously. I've put about 2K miles on it already with no problems (except the dash fuel and rmp gauge getting stuck) and today, I noticed that the battery pilot came on for a second... and then went away.. No other indication or anything going wrong. I was going out, and within a minute of starting it, I saw a faint battery pilot come on, and was gone as soon as it came on. I went to records I got from lexus,(print out) and it seems the battery has never been changed (unless it was not done at lexus).

Do you all think I should invest in a new battery? or is it an indication of something like an alternator? I put another 30 miles since, and the light hasn't come one and there is no indication of anything abnormal.... Needless to say, I'm a bit puzzled.

Silver:

My suggestion would be to bite the bullet and put a new battery in. At 112K, the present battery (if it's original) falls into the "unreliable" or "you've gotten your money's worth" category. For $100, you can have someone (Sears Diehard) do the work for you and thoroughly check the charging system as well.

Is you Power Steering Rack Solenoid Screen clean? Do you have any P/S fluid leaking onto your alternator. Get that looked after before you drop any money on a battery though.

Hello...

Power steering rack solenoid screen??? Where is that? I haven't checked anything like that.. my powersteering is fine, and I recently had the car in for oil and TLC inspection at lexus... they didn't say anything apart from the cracked EGR pipe... I was thinking about the battery, but the car always starts right up... with no problem. Could it be that the Alternator is starting to go?

I just went outside to look at the alternator.. on the front passenger side (right side) under the Power steering res.. and it all looks dry. Is there something else I should be checking.. The Battery is covered, but The positive has just a tiny bit of white corrosion on it.. that couldn't be could it?

Hello all,

I must have read something incorrectly. Are you saying that the car has a 15-year old battery in it? :o

I highly doubt that is the case. In fact, I'd be shocked if this isn't at least the 3rd battery in the car.

Hello all,

I must have read something incorrectly. Are you saying that the car has a 15-year old battery in it? :o

I highly doubt that is the case. In fact, I'd be shocked if this isn't at least the 3rd battery in the car.

No, you are correct... I'm sure it's been replaced at some point, but I know it wasn't at Lexus, and I don't know exactly how long ago... I'll remove the brace, and see if I can see a date or something... car starts right up, so I don't think it'll be the bat. Maybe it was a fluke thing... I don't know. Maybe alternator is starting to go.. I don't know.

Before spending any money, I would check that your battery terminals are clean and tight. Check the voltage across the terminals ... should be 13 -14v ... then again when starting the car. Should not be a big drop. Check continuity on your neg cable to ground ... should be no resistance. Also check that your serpentine belt isn't slipping. If they check out, then have a load test done on both the battery and the alternator.

Before spending any money, I would check that your battery terminals are clean and tight. Check the voltage across the terminals ... should be 13 -14v ... then again when starting the car. Should not be a big drop. Check continuity on your neg cable to ground ... should be no resistance. Also check that your serpentine belt isn't slipping. If they check out, then have a load test done on both the battery and the alternator.

Should I wait to see if it does it again?? maybe it was just.. a one time thing.?..

I'll clean the battery, I think the dealer did replace it 40K miles ago.

Should I wait to see if it does it again?? maybe it was just.. a one time thing.?..

I'll clean the battery, I think the dealer did replace it 40K miles ago.

Personally, I believe in finding out the cause for any glitches that happen if for no other reason than peace of mind. Even new batteries can be defective. If you wait for it to happen again, it might be by the side of the road somewhere. You want to be sure your charging system is up to spec so it doesn't leave you standed. Little cost to check it out. Worth every penny, imo, for the confidence you'll have knowing everything is working as it should.