Lazy Power Door Lock

silvermistLS

Hello everyone.. I'm new here and just picked up a 93 LS super clean and have loved every minute of driving! The car has full lexus records, and purrrs. with 112K miles it looks like it's a 4 or 5 year old car (i'll post pics later). One of few issues ( there are 3) I have is that the passenger door lock SOMETIMES doesn't want to lock again when I press the lock button on my side of the door. Is there a vacum line or is the power door lock cable actuated?

Another thing I wanted to ask... I notice that sometimes I have the moonroom closed tight seal.. and after a few times closing and opening the door... seems like I hear more wind noice around the moonroof area.. Once i open it slightly and close it again, the wind noise is gone... weird huh?

Last issue.. Tach sometimes sticks at 0 for a little bit.. and my fuel gauge.. totally reads wrong.. does not register full when tank is actaully full.. do you guys think this is.. the send unit in the tank, or the actual instrument cluster as is comon with this series LS???

Thanks again for ALL your help.. and I will post pics soon.

Hello everyone.. I'm new here and just picked up a 93 LS super clean and have loved every minute of driving! The car has full lexus records, and purrrs. with 112K miles it looks like it's a 4 or 5 year old car (i'll post pics later). One of few issues ( there are 3) I have is that the passenger door lock SOMETIMES doesn't want to lock again when I press the lock button on my side of the door. Is there a vacum line or is the power door lock cable actuated?

Another thing I wanted to ask... I notice that sometimes I have the moonroom closed tight seal.. and after a few times closing and opening the door... seems like I hear more wind noice around the moonroof area.. Once i open it slightly and close it again, the wind noise is gone... weird huh?

Last issue.. Tach sometimes sticks at 0 for a little bit.. and my fuel gauge.. totally reads wrong.. does not register full when tank is actaully full.. do you guys think this is.. the send unit in the tank, or the actual instrument cluster as is comon with this series LS???

I have a similar issue with my moonroof. I frequently tilt it up to ventilate the car while it is parked. Upon returning and "un-tilting" I usually find that it has not sealed completely against the front of the track and I hear wind noise. Once I retract it horizontally and close it again, all is well. Don't know it is an adjustment issue, worn weatherstrip/seal or what.

Sticking tach/speedo needles and faulty fuel guage are common problems. read the pushpinned "Instrument Cluster" thread for more info.

Electric solenoid with a protective over current limiting resistor. You imply that it slowly engages and that is most often an indication of lack of lubrcation of the latching mechanism.

"Weird huh?" No, SOP, actually....

The LS is VERY TIGHTLY sealed, primarily against cabin air outflow but also for NVH factors. So as you "slam" the door the cabin gets a pressurization SURGE which unseats the sunroof seal. I'm surprised you haven't had a passenger complain of ear pain.

Most of the instruments are driven via the engine controlling ECU, not directly. Find the ECU and unplug and replug the connections.

Electric solenoid with a protective over current limiting resistor. You imply that it slowly engages and that is most often an indication of lack of lubrcation of the latching mechanism.

"Weird huh?" No, SOP, actually....

The LS is VERY TIGHTLY sealed, primarily against cabin air outflow but also for NVH factors. So as you "slam" the door the cabin gets a pressurization SURGE which unseats the sunroof seal. I'm surprised you haven't had a passenger complain of ear pain.

Most of the instruments are driven via the engine controlling ECU, not directly. Find the ECU and unplug and replug the connections.

Wow.. thanks for all your responses!!! So do you know where the ECU is? And.. won't I mess other things up by unplugging the ecu? I don't want to open Pandora's box..heee.heee. sunroof response makes sense.. The car does seal very well. As far as the pasenger door lock, It does seem to move slowly.. do you have suggestions on how to lube it? WD40?? Hopefully I won't have to take the panel off huh?? Thanks again WWest for your knowledge..

with the door lock sticking, does it start to move and get stuck about halfway? when flipping it over manually is there more resistance than usual?

if so, I'd venture a guess that somebody removed the door panel previously and didn't take care to make sure that none of the insulation tar was in contact with the lock rod. same thing happened to me when I replaced my window motor.

Try taking off your door panel and seeing if the rod moves freely.