Alternative To Trade-in

I currently have an a 2008 RX, but I'm thinking of getting the redesign 2010 RX when it comes out. Any suggestion of where to sale your vehicle when the market value of your vehicle is still 35-40K? I know if I was to trade in, it would worth 3-5K less, but when sell privately a vehicle that cost 35-40K, who has the cash to pay it up front these days? (I sold my last vehicle privately before, but it was only worth 6K, so people can manage it.)

Thanks.

Actually, we bought our '06 IN '06 ... used, and paid with AMEX (same as cash because they require full payment each month) so we could get a ton of frequent flyer miles ;)

We've always had good luck w/ the autotrader/trucktrader method, when it comes to unloading our used cars.

Thanks for the info. But when I check Autotrader, and I only seen cars that sells for 30-40K range posted by dealerships, not a single one by private owner. I guess it'll keep it until 2020 if it didn't get good resale value :-).

Man, you must have got a really high credit line. My credit line was 10,000, but the Lexus dealer only allowed me to use $5000 on my card. But I did get back $50 cash back for using it, only 1% rebate..but well...it's still money.

Btw, anybody here has the Lexus Visa Credit Card? Are they worth having?

I put my 03 IS300 in Auto Trader for 24k, and it sold in 10 days, buyer showed up with a certified check. We went to the bank, I cashed it and deposited it, we went to the DMV and turned in the tag and I signed over the title right there. Iv'e sold alot of cars that way.

I put my 03 IS300 in Auto Trader for 24k, and it sold in 10 days, buyer showed up with a certified check. We went to the bank, I cashed it and deposited it, we went to the DMV and turned in the tag and I signed over the title right there. Iv'e sold alot of cars that way.

What about test driving? Should I let them test drive my vehicle alone if they asked? I'm sure not comfortable with it. Can we tax the buyer on the price of the vehicle when selling private party?

When they called, I just arranged a time and place to meet, and when they go to drive it, I take thier liscence and put it in my pocket, then I let them drive with me in the car. Bring a friend to raise your comfort level if you need.

Personally, I would not let someone drive a car of that value without me in the car. Of course, that'd be a different story if I knew the person.

And no you don't charge sales tax. When they apply for a new title the DMV will charge the tax accordingly.

A college buddy was test driving a used BMW without the owner in the car, he tried to take a corner too fast, rolled the car and totaled it. Do not let a stranger take your car without you.

Prices for good used 400h's have been VERY strong. That's why we bought new, not enough discount for used. When they do the redesign, we'll probably take somewhat of a hit.