Rear Axle Boot Leeking

BlackLex

I just found a oil spot on the garage floor. I'm not sure how long its been there because of wet or icey floor but I dont think it has been there too long. I looked over the rear differential and there were no leeks . It took a while (because it wasn't dripping any more) but it's the right axle boot where it connects to the differential body. It looks like it's a seal on the differential side of the boot. You can see where it has spun the greese out in a rotating line of greese on the underbody of the car. Is it the seal if there is one? ( the boot is good) Does the differential greese lubricat that too?. How much to have garage fix or can I do it myself. Pleas help!

I just checked under the car again and I can see that over the years some greese has accumulated in a rotational fashion under the body .where it has spun out of the left side of the right side axle boot where it connects to the side gear shaft off the differential.

It appears to be a very slow leak off the edge of the boot. and this would not leak oil . It wouldn't leak at all. it would spin the greese out . therefore seeing that the dif. fluid is up where it should be it must be from my something else .not from my lexus leaking. sorry for the confusion on my part.

I had one side done at a shop and the cost was very reasonable $35 for parts and $90 labor.

I had noticed the spun out grease underneath the car. If you wait too long, the joint will go dry and also there is probably a tear in the boot to let in dirt and moisture. Replacing the joint will run into much more money I'm sure. As a DIY, there is a special tool plus you'll probably need large tools to torque it back in plus it would be infinitely easier if you had a lift.

Turns out I also needed rear brakes so at least one side was already torn apart for that.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280