Gps Navigation Antenna Connection

wheelswon

The GPS in my 2002 SC430 recently stopped working. I took the car to the Lexus dealer, they looked at it for a couple of hours, said that they had never seen this happen and said that they could order me a new antenna and install it for $1,750. I said "maybe later". When I started the car, the navigation system was working perfectly. But that only lasted for a few days.

The symptom of what is wrong is that the letters GPS on the display are gone. According to the manual, that means that the computer isn't receiving a signal from the sattelite.

Anybody know how to fiix this easily?

It seems to me that it should be relatively easy to reconnect the antenna.

Thanks

There could be a few scenarios that would cause the navigation system to lose communication with the GPS satellite system.

1) The GPS connection on the back of the navigation system could be lose or could have become undone. Pull out the navigation system (there are writeups on the web on how to get the system out) and check all connections in the back and make sure they are all firmly in.

2) The GPS antenna could have malfunctioned. You would need to purchase a new antenna and run the wiring to the headunit.

3) The wiring itself to the GPS antenna could be damaged. Again, you would need to insert a new antenna and run the wiring to the antenna.