1997 Ls Pricing

kc92hatch

Good morning all,

I live in the midwest and starting about four months ago, I have really gotten the itch for an LS or GS. So far, I've been watching in the range of 1998-2000 LS/GS 400 and then the occasional 2001 LS/GS 430. I haven't bought anything yet.

A local Lexus dealer has a very clean 1997 LS with 88k on the clock. They are asking around $12k.

I'm contemplating offering $10.5k if they will perform the 90,000 service as part of the deal.

Does that seem like a reasonable deal? From investigating KBB, cars.com, autotrader.com, etc. it looks like this price might be on the high-side a little bit and I'm curious how recent actual purchase prices compare.

Thanks for any feedback or comments!!

Hi KC92hatch. Welcome to the forum.

The price for the 1997 LS at the dealer seems high but not terrible given the low miles. The used cars at Lexus dealers are usually in excellent condition so sometimes they may be worth paying more for.

I am in Kansas City also, and it seems to me Lexus cars hold their value much better here than in other large cities. 1990LS400 is also in this area, and bought his LS used if I recall correctly. Maybe he can provide some further information about prices for these cars.

Not sure if you are interested in cars with higher miles, but there is 1998 LS400 for sale in my neighborhood, 1-owner with 170K, for $7500. That mileage would not scare me at all if the car was maintained properly. But some people have an aversion to high mileage vehicles.

If you are talking about a white LS400 at Superior Lexus North, I signed paperwork on it Saturday. Small world.

They are going to do the 90k maintenance for me this week (I made them include that as part of the deal).

Like you, I was really in the market for 98-2000, but this one seemed like it was in such good condition that I decided to jump on it.

If you check AutoTrader, there is a 2000 LS400 in the Liberty, MO area. I didn't get a chance to look at it, but its low mileage and for sale by owner. Good luck hunting.

Thanks for the responses folks.

Etex - I'm just looking local right now, but thanks for the offer.

Tom - Thanks for your reply. I know these cars are good, but 170K is a little higher than I'm looking in right now.....for now!

ProEng - LOL...that might be the one. I thought it was silver, but in the photos it did look white! We had the same thoughts on the 90K service, glad they threw that in for you!! Guess it was a decent deal. I snooze, I loose. I hope you enjoy the car. Thanks for the hint on the other...I'll take a look.

Thanks all.

To be honest, they were a pain to bargain with. After driving it on Thursday of last week(it drove smooooooth, it has been well taken care of) I liked it. I really liked it. However, I'm not one prone to rash decisions (hey, I've been looking for about 8 months now). I had almost decided to skip it, because I really wanted a 98.

Anyway, they claimed that they really wanted to deal. They asked what it would take for me to buy it. I said $11,000. They said that was too low. They offered 11,450 (which by the time you add on the dealer fees, it was 11,800 out the door). I said no thanks, and told the dealer that I was sure that it would sell soon, as it is a nice car. She said that it would probably be gone the next morning (Friday) as she had an appointment to show it to another couple.

OK, fine. I left, but gave her my cell number. She calls back Friday afternoon, wanting to know if I was still interested, as it didn't sell. I told her that I would do the 11,800 out the door if they did the 90k maintenance. More haggling. She called and said that it would probably be gone soon, as another dealer was in the process of filling out paperwork. I said fine, as I was on my way out of town anyway.

An hour later, she calls me AGAIN. That buyer fell through (bad credit). She asks what will it take to sell. I said timing belt, water pump, coolant replacement. We haggle on the phone some MORE. They finally agree to timing belt, water pump, coolant replacement.

I'm happy with the deal. I really wanted to get the rest of the 90k maintenance done, but the car seems to be in great shape, so I'll get the rest done locally.

I think you have to call the deal off at least once or twice before a dealer takes you seriously.

Let me know how that private sale Lexus looks. I didn't get any info past what I saw on AutoTrader, but if the title is clean it looks like it could be a good deal. Good luck.