Coil Wires

BlackLex

When replacing plugs and wires do I replace the coil wires too? and if I do where are the coils?

I'm doing plugs/wires/caps/rotors Is there any thing else to do for tune up . My car has 180k and there was the major maint. at 90k . I suppose I should do the timing belt/waterpump again. I allready did the throttle body cleaning.

I hope that the oem Denso wires and Platinum plugs are good. thats what I ordered.caps/rotors are denso too

When I buy a wire set, the 2 coil wires and their click on caps are always included, so yes, replace the coil wires along with the spark plug wires. The key is to make sure that a secure snap on cap is used to seat the lower coil-the caps come with the wire set. This lower coil is located below the left side distributor cap (looking from the drivers seat), and is usually the cause of problems if it loosens, since it will release due to gravity, and you will lose power and ignite the cats-happened to me six months ago.. The other coil is located flat in front of the top of the engine at the wire runs, and usually does not get in trouble.

If the water pump is not leaking, it's your decision to replace it and the timing belt. If you're a handy guy, then do it. But if you're like me, Mr. Fumbles, I might wait a while. Since you have a non-interference 1994 engine, the belt can break, but the engine is not damaged. I paid a bundle to have the water pump and timing belt replaced a year ago-the indie said the belt looked fine. Best of luck....

Thanks Tex, I didn't know that the coil wires came with the set. Great

I think I will hold off on the Belt and pump for now. You know what .. I went to a lex dealer to see if they could figure the miss fire out and the teck spent one hour looking at my car and pulled one plug so he said and that was it .

When I asked what kind of plug it was Iridium or platinum I caught him off guard (I went into the shop) He said it was platinum then he said Iridium . He had it put back together when I went back to the shop so I couldn't see for my self.

It cost me 85 bucks for that . and then he said that I need a full tune up and that the timing belt could be stretched out and be causeing the problem. thats one Ive never heard before

I have a teeny, teeny hesitation that occurs only at about 45 mph shifting to the highest gear. After doing the tuneup and throttle clean stuff, it's still there. The last thing I will do is take it to a mechanic, as I think it's something minor, but I'm sure a mechanic would tear the car apart, doing due diligence, and cost me a fortune. I've had the situation for 4 years, and it doesn't get better-or worse. FYI-the new timing belt didn't affect the blip one way or another. I'm lucky that the Lexi is my backup car, so it's not that urgent. It's like what a friend told me once-"when I hear or feel something strange in my car, I turn up the volume on the radio, and everything's better".

One other thought about a misfire is that the #7 and 8 plugs, which are located closest to the drivers compartment seem to foul up faster than the other plugs. Mine sure looked darker on the tips. Best of luck..

When I buy a wire set, the 2 coil wires and their click on caps are always included, so yes, replace the coil wires along with the spark plug wires. The key is to make sure that a secure snap on cap is used to seat the lower coil-the caps come with the wire set. This lower coil is located below the left side distributor cap (looking from the drivers seat), and is usually the cause of problems if it loosens, since it will release due to gravity, and you will lose power and ignite the cats-happened to me six months ago.. The other coil is located flat in front of the top of the engine at the wire runs, and usually does not get in trouble.

If the water pump is not leaking, it's your decision to replace it and the timing belt. If you're a handy guy, then do it. But if you're like me, Mr. Fumbles, I might wait a while. Since you have a non-interference 1994 engine, the belt can break, but the engine is not damaged. I paid a bundle to have the water pump and timing belt replaced a year ago-the indie said the belt looked fine. Best of luck....

Why did I get 3 coil wires( they have the plastic snap lock clips)?

I did the spark plug wires on mine last month and I got 3 coil wires as well. Only used 2 of them.

Check the lengths of the coil wires versus the originals that you pull off. You'll find that 2 of the 3 coil wires match, one won't.

Rob