So I Now Own A Lexus

Greetings folks, I just sold my 300hp modified 2004 Dodge SRT-4 and replaced it with a 1993 ES300. I have to say, I am totally impressed with the way this car rides and drives despite it needing a new strut mount/strut.

It's got 189k miles and runs great.

I'm getting the safety/IM done tomorrow, and there are a few things I'll have to fix on it to make it as close to perfect as I can get it.

I can't gripe about much on the car, I got it for just over $1,500 so I think I got a pretty good deal. The interior is clean and has a small thumb sized hole in the driver side bolster. That's pretty much it. Everything works, the A/C blows ice friggin cold, so I'm assuming it's R-12, not R-134a.

The only concern I have is that it has an oil burning smell while it runs. It's somewhat minor, but I was assuming that it may be a valve cover gasket. I'm having my local dealer look at it and advise.

I read the FAQ and after I bought the car, it said to avoid the 92-93, well it's too late for that. I guess that there was a cooling issue with those 2 years?

What kind of remedies are available to me?

I look forward to corresponding with you folks :D

Greetings folks, I just sold my 300hp modified 2004 Dodge SRT-4 and replaced it with a 1993 ES300. I have to say, I am totally impressed with the way this car rides and drives despite it needing a new strut mount/strut.

It's got 189k miles and runs great.

I'm getting the safety/IM done tomorrow, and there are a few things I'll have to fix on it to make it as close to perfect as I can get it.

I can't gripe about much on the car, I got it for just over $1,500 so I think I got a pretty good deal. The interior is clean and has a small thumb sized hole in the driver side bolster. That's pretty much it. Everything works, the A/C blows ice friggin cold, so I'm assuming it's R-12, not R-134a.

The only concern I have is that it has an oil burning smell while it runs. It's somewhat minor, but I was assuming that it may be a valve cover gasket. I'm having my local dealer look at it and advise.

I read the FAQ and after I bought the car, it said to avoid the 92-93, well it's too late for that. I guess that there was a cooling issue with those 2 years?

What kind of remedies are available to me?

I look forward to corresponding with you folks :D

Welcome to the forum voddoo!!! I have a 94 es300 with 230k miles and my rear valve cover gasket is leaking oil and me and my mechanic buddy is replacing it this Saturday. That oil burning smell is the oil leaking into the exhaust pipe right after the y pipe which is directly below the rear valve cover. Use a mirror and check the back of the rear valve cover for oil leaks. Its funny because mine need struts too. Anyway, it does drive different from my ML430 and that HOnda Accord I used to have. ITs smooth and it feels real light. Different.

I have a leak to in my car. it is located behind the throttle body and intake manifold area. If it is leaking oil like their is a need to add ;oil every other day, get the gaskets replaced asap. But if it is a minor leak, where you dont notice any oil level change, just leave it alone, opr pay 450 bucks to replace the seals.

I too have a '93 es300, with 108,000 miles on it, now.

It also has a verrrrrrrrry minor oil leak that drips onto the exhaust and 'cooks'.

It leaks so little that I'm not concerned with replacing the gaskets/seals anytime soon.