Valve Cover Gaskets

2bernell

I had my valve cover gaskets replaced in my 1996 Lexus ES300 at 46k miles. Last week my check engine light came on and I was told that it was code PO500 by the LExus dealer in Durham NC. They didn't fix anything but told me to come back if it happened again. When the light came on my speed od stop working briefly. So, I not sure what to do about that problem. Also duing the vist they told me my valve cover gaskets were leaking. I checked my old service receipts and saw that the valve cover gaskets were replaced in 2003.They replaced rear and fron valve cover gaskets. Now I'm been told this is the problem again. Plus they told me my cam seals are leaking. My car now has 137K miles. I don't know what to do. I don't know if they are telling me this b/c I am a female and don't know any better.

PLEASE HELP

P0500

(DI–106)

Vehicle Speed Sensor

Malfunction

Open or short in speed signal circuit

Open or short in speed sensor circuit for ABS

Combination meter

ECM

ABS ECU

if it's leaking oil, then you don't have choice, needs to fix those gaskets

I don't think the Check Engine light is related to the leaky valve gaskets unless oil is somehow messing up the vehicle speed sensor. In either case you can get your car fixed at a toyota dealer instead of lexus whille saving a nice chunk of change, but like camlex said you need to fix those leaks.

I don't think the Check Engine light is related to the leaky valve gaskets unless oil is somehow messing up the vehicle speed sensor. In either case you can get your car fixed at a toyota dealer instead of lexus whille saving a nice chunk of change, but like camlex said you need to fix those leaks.

I would suggest you take your lexus to a independent toyota mechanic and have them look at the valve cover gaskets, if it really has a leak or not. It would be 50% cheaper if done with a independent toyota mechanic. What symptoms did your car have besides the check engine light that made the dealer check for your valve cover gasket?

Around here Toyo and Lexus are the same price per hour etc. So I would not bank on that. Seals are not integral to any MIL/DTC codes. Cam seals and crank seals are like $40 and should be replaced when TB is done.

The VC, for me I would just double check the torque on the bolts.

Around here Toyo and Lexus are the same price per hour etc. So I would not bank on that. Seals are not integral to any MIL/DTC codes. Cam seals and crank seals are like $40 and should be replaced when TB is done.

The VC, for me I would just double check the torque on the bolts.

Wow, so things are really different in Texas. Over here my friends es300 had a stem seal problem and dealer quoted 2400$ to fix, independent said 1400$. So thats like 1000$ difference.