Dummy Question. Or Is It?

BigBuggie

Ok, I'm sure I could figure this on my own but as you know Im pulling on 16 year old plastics and it makes me nervous. Im trying to replace my drivers side top stop light (the one which illuminates when the brake is depressed) I went through the trunk and removed the lining which revealed some kind of metal housing, I see two plastic tabs also, I tried working like a gentleman but had no luck and like I said I'm not comfortable with forcing anything.

Looking forward to some help

Peter

Bigbuggie, the VERY first bit fo maintenance I did on my Lex when I got it 5 months ago was that exact job, and let me tell you, I felt the same way. My owners manual in front of me has 4 steps (get one of these from Ebay if you don;t have it yet)..... Step 1 and 2 is for removing the back carpeted panel inside the trunk. It shows 2 large fitting pieces (one on each side) at the top, and 4 smaller ones along the piece just below the lip of the trunk...........Step 3: take the two screws out. When you are standing at the trunk looking in, they will be towards the side of the car rather than at the back of the car. It shows only 2 of them. Final step 4 jiust has the housing removed, so if you have done all of that, give it a few good thumps with the palm of your hand while at the side of the car, direccting your blow towards the rear of the car, and they should come loose.

Mine were tough, I remember. Makes you wantto replace all of the bulbs while you are there.

Good luck!

Bigbuggie, the VERY first bit fo maintenance I did on my Lex when I got it 5 months ago was that exact job, and let me tell you, I felt the same way. My owners manual in front of me has 4 steps (get one of these from Ebay if you don;t have it yet)..... Step 1 and 2 is for removing the back carpeted panel inside the trunk. It shows 2 large fitting pieces (one on each side) at the top, and 4 smaller ones along the piece just below the lip of the trunk...........Step 3: take the two screws out. When you are standing at the trunk looking in, they will be towards the side of the car rather than at the back of the car. It shows only 2 of them. Final step 4 jiust has the housing removed, so if you have done all of that, give it a few good thumps with the palm of your hand while at the side of the car, direccting your blow towards the rear of the car, and they should come loose.

Mine were tough, I remember.

Makes you wantto replace all of the bulbs while you are there.

Yes, while you're in there put in LED bulbs and then snip the one wire that ligths the intrument panel bulb indicating a rear light has failured.

I got mine from v-leds on ebay.

Good luck!

Ok, I'm sure I could figure this on my own but as you know Im pulling on 16 year old plastics and it makes me nervous. Im trying to replace my drivers side top stop light (the one which illuminates when the brake is depressed) I went through the trunk and removed the lining which revealed some kind of metal housing, I see two plastic tabs also, I tried working like a gentleman but had no luck and like I said I'm not comfortable with forcing anything.

Looking forward to some help

Peter

Here's a little PDF tutorial that our good friend Denny (vbdenny) put together...

Lexus_Taillight_Bulb_Replacement.pdf

Remember the only dumb question is one not asked! :D better safe than sorry I always say!

LED bulbs are SO coooooooooooooooooool but if you don't want to pull out the cluster and cut wires or remove bulbs just get the load resisors, they aren't too spendy...

and WWEST can tell you pretty much anything about LEDs :D haha or anything else for that matter! :cheers: