Hybrid Versus Non-hybrid Info

hi,

it's been a while since hybrids have been out for lexus.

is there any good info on going with a hybrid even with the extra upfront costs, costs of replacing batteries, and the lost of luggage space?

I'm considering a hybrid for the next lexus but luggage space is the largest concern as well as the overall balance of the vehicle.

I'm considering both the RX450h and GX450h.

I hear the GX will be next in the line of hybrids while the LX will be phased out. Sorry if this is old info.

thanks

Jack

Is there going to be a GX450h or is this a misprint and you meant GS450h? The GS450h rides better, IMHO, than the GS350/GS430/GS460 because it is a bit heavier. We get about two suitcases and a few other bags in the trunk which is definitely smaller than the other models listed. Otherwise, it is a dream machine.

i was told by the dealer last year that the GX sells better and there will be a hybrid for it sometime in the future. He also said that the LX will be phased out, not sure if it's true, just what he told me.

I've heard that the GS450h owners aren't getting the MPG as advertised which makes it not worth it. Is there any truth to that? I would think that a hybrid is more beneficial to those that drive in the city where the battery gets used more as opposed to the highway.

What about battery maintenance. Every few years you'll need to replace all the batteries, pretty expensive maintenance.

"Every few years you'll need to replace all the batteries"

Good luck finding a single person that has had to replace a battery pack in a Toyota or Lexus Hybrid. The Prius has been out for 10 years or so and there are very few reports of battery failure.

As far as the RX comparisons go, there are more reasons than simply fuel mileage to choose the hybrid. Acceleration and lack of transmission shifting are plusses for most people who compare. There is no storage penalty in an RX that I know of and yes, city and high-traffic highway driving is where hybrids really shine. While an RX350 may average 18 MPG, an RX400h will average 23-26 MPG - a significant savings when even regular gas is over $3.00/gallon. Certainly, buying a hybrid and keeping it for 5 years or more are wise decisions that will save the owner money in the long run. Batteries are expected to last over 150,000 miles.

thanks RX400h,

that was a very informative reply.

It's my wife's car and she averages 45 miles each day in mostly highway speeds and we use regular gas.

There's not enough incentive to move to the 400h.

I drive 56 miles per day in local traffic and I have a really heavy foot, so it might be worthwhile for me to go with the GS450h.

thanks

Jackson

As far as the RX comparisons go, there are more reasons than simply fuel mileage to choose the hybrid. Acceleration and lack of transmission shifting are plusses for most people who compare. There is no storage penalty in an RX that I know of and yes, city and high-traffic highway driving is where hybrids really shine. While an RX350 may average 18 MPG, an RX400h will average 23-26 MPG - a significant savings when even regular gas is over $3.00/gallon. Certainly, buying a hybrid and keeping it for 5 years or more are wise decisions that will save the owner money in the long run. Batteries are expected to last over 150,000 miles.

I second this.

I have only owned an RX440h for a few months now and even removing the fuel savings from the equation it is still very worth while.

The shiftless CVT is amazing. Especially in traffic. I routinely hit one bottle neck that used to really irritate me with a normal tranny

with it constantly shifting from 2-3-4th as the traffic constantly nearly stopped and started again. The CVT has a very calming effect

because you are not trying to coax it into the next higher gear. The other situation is a mountain pass I drive over about once a

month. The RX just seems to float over it. The shiftless CVT and power (especially torque) of the drivetrain makes driving the RX

over hilly terrain a pleasure. Now add back in the fuel economy: so far I am getting 26 - 27 MPG. That's icing on the cake.

/Steve

thanks, that was very helpful

you meant 400h right?

i drive through a lot of hills and lights with typical highway speeds between 75-85.

not really the best conditions for fuel economy.

I'd get the 450h but the trunk space is a real dealer killer for me and the reported lower than actual fuel savings

any recommendations for a dealer? i've bought from kearny mesa and the service/facility is just ho hum.

i think the 2008 rx400h is in my cards soon.

We bought ours fron Bob Baker Lexus in El Cajon and although their dealership isn't as large as some others, the service people are great and I continue to take our RX there because of that.

I get BETTER mileage than advertised in my GS450 and the power is phenomenal! Luggage space can be a problem but it works for the three of us! I will buy another

hi,

is there any good info on going with a hybrid even with the extra upfront costs, costs of replacing batteries, and the lost of luggage space?

I'm considering a hybrid for the next lexus but luggage space is the largest concern as well as the overall balance of the vehicle.

I hear the GX will be next in the line of hybrids while the LX will be phased out. Sorry if this is old info.

thanks

Jack

You're kidding, right?

1) No space loss, as the batteries are only 1" higher and under the rear seats, which means the same cargo area.

2) There are Toyota hybrids being used as Taxis in Canada that have (in some cases) racked up over 200 & 300 thousand miles. That means basically they're good for the life of the car in most instances. Ie, they don't go 'poof' at the end of the warranty.

That said, who pumped you full of misinformation, as whomever it was, they were probably messing with you, just to see if you'd buy into that kind of thing. It's not the 1st time it's happened.

hi,

thanks

Jack

Well I have to say you should do a lot more research for yourself. I just got my 2008 RX 400h, they dont make a RX450h, anyhow inthe 400h there is really no lost space so to speak since the batteries are under the rear seats and they are very thin, no real lost storage space.

As far as extra cost, well on my trip home today on the freeway (48 deg F temp) from the dealer I got 30.1 MPG. now that was what the trip computer said not actual fill up, but you do the math, with gas projected here in the mid west to go to around $4.00 gal likely and possibly even close to $ 5.00 gal by this summer. Well I am super happy with my investment. Having said all that I already have a 2007 Toyota Prius, I really like it too.

As for the GS450h well the car version does suffer on lugage space, by the way that is GS450h not GX450h. I consider the GS450h but passed on it due to limited cargo/luggage space and I really like SUV's

Good luck!

I just traded in my RX400h for a new RX350. I had the hybrid for 15mo.

During that time we had to have the hybrid batteries replaced because of failure. This happened only after about 2 months after buying this car new. We were getting pour mileage before the battery failure and there was only slight improvement after replacing the batteries.

Its my wife's car and we live in the midwest. She drives predominantly in the city, short trips. The salesman at Lexus convinced us that these were the conditions in which the car really shined. This winter my wife was getting 17 mpg on the computer (which means it was really getting about 16 mpg). The dealer said finally that if she drives short trips in cold weather, the hybrid system doesn't really kick in until the engine warms us, thus a lot of the time she was just driving the engine. I personally think there was something wrong with our particular car, because it seemed to run a lot on the engine in cold weather even after the engine warmed up. In cold weather I could never get the car get moving from a standstill using the battery now matter how slowly I would try to accellerate. I would even try turning off the heater and seat heaters. I would come to a stop sign and the ICE would keep running for 20 sec.

I don't know if our car was a lemon, or if the dealer was clueless on evaluating the situation. I even tried on multiple occasions to get Lexus USA involved and they were totally worthless.

So, we got a great trade in the other day on a new RX350. I like how it drives much better.

Rob

I think it's fairly obvious that you had a rare lemon. Most of us who have driven an RX350, prefer the 400, partially because of the transmission difference (which to me is significant), partially because of the stronger low and mid-range torque of the 400, and finally because of the 30% increase in city (and high-traffic) mileage.

Certainly, the 400h isn't for everybody, but as fuel prices climb to statospheric levels, the 400h becomes much easier to justify.

I love the lexus hybrid its such a great value with todays gas prices. I bought the rx400h a few years ago and it has saved me a lot of money in gas compared to my old lexus suv. I love the idea of hybrids not only for gas savings but for the economy as well.