Timing Belt And Water Pump

jr_gorozco

im currently replacing my water pump and timing belt on my '91 LS, im doing it myself and wonderin if there is any diagrams online anyone could suggest for me to use., and if there are any problems i should look out for while replacing these parts.

thank you all in advance for your help.

I used that guide myself, it was excellent.

However, unless you have air tools save yourself some trouble and frustration and buy a 24" chain wrench ($50, and the coolest tool I currently own) to get that crank pulley bolt off. Don't throw out your old serpentine belt either, you'll need to use it to cushion the wrench.

how far along are you? if you have any questions feel free to ask. Take your time and be VERY careful with the plastic clips around the ignition coils and cam sensors, after this long they've become very brittle and the tabs that lock the connectors together are easily broken.

Unless you've got a lift, you'll also probably be taking your alternator out blindly, just stick your hands in (with fingerless gloves, of course) and feel around until you can get the connectors undone. It comes straight out the front, but I had to bend a tiny metal wire bracket about an inch out of the way.

If you haven't taken a look at your PS system in a while this might be a good time to replace that air control valve and prevent an early death of your alternator as long as it's already out.

thanks guys, your info has been very hrelpful so far and the guide is an awesome tool.

cant tell you how much it has come in handy!

but after taking it apart, the fan braket and gear seen to be the real problem., not the water pump and timing belt.

the cranking sound was coming from that area. So thats where i am at thus far.

although difficult, this car is much fun to work on and much better when i get it going again!

Thanks again!

my fan bracket was stuck really good, even after I got all of the bolts out. I also had to pry my fan clutch off with a crowbar after the four nuts were removed. Pry between the black disk at the back of the clutch and the metal rim the belt sits on. the seam is really hard to see, but that's where it should separate. I started it off using a flathead screwdriver as a chisel, feel free to devise a more graceful solution.

make sure you get both of the long bolts tucked up underneath the bottom right of the bracket, it's easy to miss a bolt on that thing and then you'll never get it out.