96 Ls Window "frame"

jasonmckinley

A few weeks ago someone broke into my car (driver side rear window) and in the process they broke the metal "frame" that outlines the window. I just took the car to a local body shop and they said it's going to be $700 to replace- $630 of which is parts. Apparently everything for the windows comes as a kit and I only need one part of that kit but there's no way to buy things individually. This is a reputable body shop so I don't think I'm getting jerked around. Curious if anyone has any insight on a way to get this cheaper. Thanks

A few weeks ago someone broke into my car (driver side rear window) and in the process they broke the metal "frame" that outlines the window. I just took the car to a local body shop and they said it's going to be $700 to replace- $630 of which is parts. Apparently everything for the windows comes as a kit and I only need one part of that kit but there's no way to buy things individually. This is a reputable body shop so I don't think I'm getting jerked around. Curious if anyone has any insight on a way to get this cheaper. Thanks

http://www.taprecycling.com/ They will sell you anything you need for your LS, It helps if you can get a part # Or be very specific as to what you need. Maybe send them a picture of the old piece would help. :cheers:

yes, insurance is paying for it- but their quote was for $222 and i'm not sure how they'll feel about the extra $500 for the estimate i got. i was just doing my homework in case insurance gave me sh*t for it.
Is insurance paying for it?

Unfortunately for a '95 your insurance is going to pro-rate the repair, so they're only going to accept the lowest cost. Ask them what they base their quote on and where they source their parts. Usually they have a list of suppliers who give them the best deals. Insurance companies, like warranty companies always discount suppliers and repair shops. The shops then try to get the difference from you.