Gas Brand And Lexus Performance Do You Know...

Scott Gordon

Hi

Where I live in NJ valero premium sells for $3.01 a gallon while other older name brand premiums such as Mobil ,shell, exxon ( 40.6 billion in profits this year! man I'd like to get political but...) are selling for $3.25. Why is this? is it because valero gas has no helpful additives or is it because of the ethonol content I believe its 10% ?

I have been using valero exclusively over the last few years because of the cost savings with no ill effects on my cars performance. Now I do on occassion on average add a bottle of techtronic injector /port/valve cleaning fluid you know the stuff about every 15,000 miles just for kicks( not because of any issue with performance, just fearful I may be dumping deposits through out engine by using valero you also know there is no free lunch).

thanks

the gas master (brought to you by beans and philly scraple LOL) if we could only run on methaine

"just fearful I may be dumping deposits through out engine by using valero "

Doesn't this answer your own question?

i cannot speak for the US, but I imagine it is similar as it is here in Canada. All fuel being sold should be of good quality and be regulated in some form or another by one or many government agencies. i am sure the fuel they sell is not necissarily bad for your vehicle. Being someone who worked in the fuel industry, I would recommend you take the time to "peak" at the practices of the local station you want to use, as this will impact the quality of fuel you get more than anything...

things to look for:

Age of station/tanks

Do they water check on a regulare daily basis or more?

Do they test from the truck before putting it in their tanks?(you can ask them)

When you see the trucks, do they look tip top, or so-so, or like crap?

Are the pumps kept up or are they dirty and unmaintained?

All of these things will give you a good idea of the practice of the station in regards to how they treat their product. In Canada here, I know of one company with VERY high standards for fuel quality and high standards they set for stations to keep the company name up, and i also know of some that are very lax in this. the choice is yours, but those re the things i would look for.

Age of station/tanks

Do they water check on a regulare daily basis or more?

Do they test from the truck before putting it in their tanks?(you can ask them)

When you see the trucks, do they look tip top, or so-so, or like crap?

Are the pumps kept up or are they dirty and unmaintained?

This is excellent advice. The "cleanliness" of the fuel is a direct result of the type/frequency of the maintenance performed by the station operator and his supplier. Tanks should be periodically checked for water and pumps should have their internal filters replaced routinely. A crappy looking station or pump is probably a good indication of poor maintenance.

I worked for a Shell supplier for over 15 years. This company also owned a terminal on the Texas Eastern pipeline. All the fuel is exactly the same until it is loaded into the tanker to be delivered to the station. Our Shell additive was metered in at this time...unbranded stations of course did not get this additive, although all the fuel coming up the pipeline had some amount of detergent in it. The "premium" brands add more while loading, so there really is a difference.

It's hard to say if it's worth a .20/gallon premium, however. I generally run Shell (old habits die hard), but will occasionally run cheaper stuff to save a few bucks. Hope this helps.

My friend used to own a gas station and he always told me that no matter what station you are filling at do NOT get gas while the delivery truck is there. He says that during the dumping process that it stirs up so much sediment in the storage tanks that the filters have a hard time filtering it all..

He would not even get gas at his own station for his car, and it was free..

My friend used to own a gas station and he always told me that no matter what station you are filling at do NOT get gas while the delivery truck is there. He says that during the dumping process that it stirs up so much sediment in the storage tanks that the filters have a hard time filtering it all..

He would not even get gas at his own station for his car, and it was free..

That is why cars have filter socks and filters.

riiiiiiight nothing at all....

And Top tier is endorsed by Toyota. The same clowns that know crap on oil. Now they are fuel experts...and how did it take them to come clean on the sludge issue? Come on...

If you think top tier is the end all for fuels, you are getting lazy or cheap. It will not save your over needed cleaning of your black TB either.

But, what do YOU think you will gain here?? Please tell me?

Hey guys some good advise, I never get gas when a gas delivery is being made at the station. always change your fuel filter at scheduled interval, and use the octaine recommended for the car.

The question remaines is the gas offered by valero and other less then "top tier" stations that sells form .10 to .25 a gallon cheaper in the long term (say 50000mi for the sake of discussion) harmful to the fuel system( from the cars tank to its valves and cylinders vs the top tier? I think not based on my practical experence.

Hey guys some good advise, I never get gas when a gas delivery is being made at the station. always change your fuel filter at scheduled interval, and use the octaine recommended for the car.

The question remaines is the gas offered by valero and other less then "top tier" stations that sells form .10 to .25 a gallon cheaper in the long term (say 50000mi for the sake of discussion) harmful to the fuel system( from the cars tank to its valves and cylinders vs the top tier? I think not based on my practical experence.

no

I just wanted to see what trash you'd talk about this, and how much you're going to freak out about it!!! :D

http://www.toptiergas.com

Maybe take a chill pill?

That is data???...marketing junk....are you kidding? That proves zero and is not data at all. It is a sale pitch! It was online about 1.5 years ago ....I know I looked

I am fine and find these fuuny. You still can't show any real world data on oils and now fuels.

Well here's something real. No Toyota V-6 has ever developed the sludge problem if the oil was changed at the manufacturers recommended intervals. The issue was only evident in those engines whose oil drain intervals were well past the interval stated.

Well here's something real. No Toyota V-6 has ever developed the sludge problem if the oil was changed at the manufacturers recommended intervals. The issue was only evident in those engines whose oil drain intervals were well past the interval stated.

Based on what supporting data? Also how is this related to anything on this thread? The sludge issue is over blown. If you read on this forum, posters will say that you are incorrect. I for one think the sludge issue is a joke and there is more to it. I think that why? Becasue they are people doing "past the interval stated", which is just recomended and the engine is mint/clean per UOA and pictures. Also the sludge issue, since I have the docs do not even give a time interval. They say you must show like 1 drain per year. This is old news.

Just saying since you brought it up.

You're quite concerned about......fluids......aren't you mburnickas? Oil analysis, corporate greed and corruption, fluids, other people's ignorance, fluids, non-sequitors, fluids, and a general bent towards contrariness seem to pervade each post.....

I'd advise watching "Dr. Strangelove" several times in succession as a means of therapy.

I'm not trying to engage in an ad hominen response mind you....

:cheers: