Hurry Please Help!

jcrome04

CRAP! So I have my dash taken completely apart and I need to know what is what on the relay.

The labels are 5, 3, 1, 2.

I need to know:

+ Trigger

- Trigger

+ Source

+Output

(according to DIY)

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/archive/o_...exus-ls400.html

I need any advice quick so I can put my car back together! lol.

post-61769-1202865464_thumb.jpg

+ Trigger

- Trigger

+ Source

+Output

Souce = 3

Output = 5

Trigger + = 1

Trigger - = 2

The source and output are correct, the trigger I may be wrong about, but probably not. With the trigger to be sure, run a continuity check between the socket for pin 2 to ground, and then from pin 1 to ground. The socket that shows continuity to ground is your "trigger - ".

I searched but I don't know what I did wrong :(

I've got a lot more info now though thanks to you guys and CL.

I really appreciate it and I'll probably give it another try in a day or two.

Plus...what the BEST way to hook up to a new 12v source?? Splice into another wire?? Or stick the wire into a fuse??

I couldn't seem to find any other hot wires with the parking lights on...

In my buddies maxima it was a green wire, with a red stripe and white dashes. I saw the same thing in my car but......I don't know I didn't want to just splice into a wire.

I used my little light up wire tester guy but it's pretty ghetto I don't know if i did it right....

I searched but I don't know what I did wrong :(

I've got a lot more info now though thanks to you guys and CL.

I really appreciate it and I'll probably give it another try in a day or two.

Plus...what the BEST way to hook up to a new 12v source?? Splice into another wire?? Or stick the wire into a fuse??

I couldn't seem to find any other hot wires with the parking lights on...

In my buddies maxima it was a green wire, with a red stripe and white dashes. I saw the same thing in my car but......I don't know I didn't want to just splice into a wire.

I used my little light up wire tester guy but it's pretty ghetto I don't know if i did it right....

On my '92 LS I rewired INSIDE the fog relay in order to turn them on without low beams.

The best way to hook up to a new 12V source will always be directly from the battery or the 12V bus bar on your fuse panel. Be careful if you plan on splicing into a 12V wire, as you may overload the wire you are pulling power from if your draw is large enough.

wwest how did you do it "inside" the relay? Was it very complicated?

And if I splice into a wire I was planning on just using a "quick splice" so I wouldn't have to risk chopping wires apart and messing things up big time.

wwest how did you do it "inside" the relay? Was it very complicated?

And if I splice into a wire I was planning on just using a "quick splice" so I wouldn't have to risk chopping wires apart and messing things up big time.

Just what is it you are trying to accomplish?

The fog light relay for the 1997 LS400 is located on the top side of the intrument panel J/B, Junction Box. This JB is just above the driver's left foot between the stearing column and the left kick panel.

Remove the relay from the JB and then modify the relay as follows.

1. Open the relay by removing the cover.

2. Open, cut/remove the connection of the relay armature actuator coil wire that goes to relay terminal #1.

In the alternative you could cut off the "lug" for terminal #1 but you MUST be sure you cut it short enough that it can NEVER contact its female connection in the socket.

The fog light relay terminal #1 normally gets 12 volt power from the RH LOW BEAM fuse labelled 10A H-LP L LWR, fuse #25 in the engine compartment JB just behind the battery, thus the fog light cannot normally operate absent the main beam relay and dimmer relay being energized.

3. Attach, solder, a ~12 inch long wire to the actuator coil wire you just removed from relay terminal #1.

4. Drill a small hole in the relay cover and route the new wire through the hole after tying a knot in the wire so no stress can be put on the recently soldered connection.

5. Put the cover back on the fog relay and insert the relay back into the socket and remount the JB.

6. Connect the free end of the 12" wire to the low, load, end of the 10A tail light fuse, fuse #18. You can find small "bridging" adapters/connectors at Radio Shack for connecting into the small 10A "blade" type fuse. The fog relay will now obtain the 12 volt "high side" source power from the tail light relay output circuit/fuse and the low/ground side as designed, from the Turn/flash/etc. combination stalk switch. I assume no objections to the requirement for the tail/street/parking lights being on in order to use the fog lights.

The only shortcoming to this modification is that the fog lights can be turned on anytime the tail/street/parking lights are on.