Quick Ps Help

BigBuggie

hello again guys. So I pulled out of my driveway today and noticed a new whine in sync with the engine speed. It is only there when turning the wheels. I immideately assumed a PS issue. After a quick search of the forum. I've narrowed it down to checking the fluid levels first. Then moving up the ladder. Just wondering If anyone had any input.

Thanks again, pete

a lot of things can white, u have to pinpoint to where in the engine you hear the whine. in my case for example one of the timing belt pulleys bearings what whining.

ps pump usually only whines under load: when the car is stopped or moving slowly and you turn the wheel. the only other time when you gonna hear whining form ps pump is when there is a lot of air in the system. at least in my case this is how it was and my 96 ls is exactly the same as your 95 one.

It is most prevalent when turning the wheels or holding a turn under acceleration. I can't hear it when accelerating straight ahead. The feel of the steering has not changed. Tomorrow I will check the fluid level and perhaps try to bleed out any air as suggested by another post. If I put my head in the hood will I hear the whine from the PS pump area? If not, does this omit a PS issue? What would cause an air leak in the PS system?

Thanks again, Pete

when the car is parked, turn the engine on, ask someone to turn the wheels while you should check under the hood for the location of the noise. if it is in fact the ps pump, then check the fluid level and check if you have any leaks, also you should clean the screen in the rack and pinion assembly, when its dirty it puts bigger strain on the pump which can lead to premature failure. it can also trigger pump to be more noisy.

Will do first thing tomorrow. I'm actually pretty sure there aren't any leaks as I checked for them before I bought the car, Haven't checked since though, Maybe that has changed. Can I do the solenoid screen cleaning on ramps? Or do I need to be able to turn the wheels?

Pete

not really no, the only time when you gonna need to turn your wheels is after you refill your PS system or while you flush it. i would recommend keeping front wheels in the air while you are turning the steering wheel just as a precautionary note not to kill the pump. factory repair manual also suggests that as far as i remember.

lost volume one somewere:(

dont think its gonna b that much.

over here it stopped snowing already and we only got like 2 inches.

the storm is moving your way so you should get the same amount:)

Ok, So I bought some Mob 1 synth ATF and went to flush but couldn't remove the air intake hose (short peice about 8 in" long) to get in there. It's raining like a son of a !Removed!, windy as hell. So I figure Ill get back to it when it stops. PS fluid was below the cold mark @ operating temp so I filled to the hot mark and it seems to have stopped the noise....Is this likely? I'm confused?

Pete

Be carefull with those hoses. They get brittle with age and can crack or break easily. Also keep an eye on your level over the next while.....and I would check if there's any blue smoke coming out the exhaust after starting the car.