Gs 300 Problem With Oil Pan

Hello all,

I took my GS 300 for an oil change at the local Toyota dealer this weekend. During the work, they told me that the drain plug was stripped and I would need a replacement. As it was only a few bucks and essential, I said go ahead.

Then a few minutes later they came back and said that the oil pan threads themself were stripped and that I would need to get it replaced. They also said that they could not guarantee that the drain plug would not fall out while driving!

So i asked if they could put some sort of thread tape on there or a larger plug to ensure that it wouldn't drop off and allow me to drive. They said that they had put on a larger plug but I would need to get it sorted out quickly.

My questions are:

1) Is this a plausible story? They claimed that whoever did the previous oil change must have stripped the threads when they replaced the plug.

2) Is it a big job to get the oil pan replaced? Would it be ok to use a salvaged part, or a non-Lexus part if one is available?

The Toyota people were not very helpful, and I am concerned that my signing their documentation may absolve them from any possible liability.

Thanks for any input I receive.