Trailer Hitch Receivers for GX460

andy2011

I recently purchased a 2022 GX460 to replace my 2006 GX470 (old faithful).  I spoke with several local dealers and it seems that the trailer hitch receiver (Class IV or V I am guessing) for the GX460 is in some sort of re design and is currently not available.  Does anyone have any additional info on this and/or when they may be available?  I will hold onto old faithful until the new one is configured to pull a trailer.

etrailer.com appears to have two hitches for the 2022 GX460 but both have a maximum of 5,000 pounds instead of the maximum 6,500 pounds the GX is rated for:  https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2022_Lexus_GX+460.htm

Unless you are really going to tow more than 5,000 pounds, either of these two hitches should work well and they're inexpensive to boot.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to find one since I bought the vehicle 6 months ago, no luck. All after market options have a mx 5000lb tow and 500lb tongue weights. 

Lexus dealer or Lexus USA both won't give a definitive answer to when they are going to come up with the new model. 

I have tried a few custom trailer / hitch manufacture shops locally to see if they can fabricate one but they won't do that apparently if there is already an aftermarket one available on the market. 

Does anyone know the reason for the stop sale in the first place? 

Mine is a 2012 model and I have seen many used ones on the market with original tow hitch installed. Is there a reason not to try and source a used OEM tow hitch? if it was a defective part, all the existing  hitches should have been recalled, correct? what am I missing here?

On 11/21/2022 at 11:42 AM, tejdp said:

I have been trying to find one since I bought the vehicle 6 months ago, no luck. All after market options have a mx 5000lb tow and 500lb tongue weights. 

Lexus dealer or Lexus USA both won't give a definitive answer to when they are going to come up with the new model. 

I have tried a few custom trailer / hitch manufacture shops locally to see if they can fabricate one but they won't do that apparently if there is already an aftermarket one available on the market. 

Does anyone know the reason for the stop sale in the first place? 

Mine is a 2012 model and I have seen many used ones on the market with original tow hitch installed. Is there a reason not to try and source a used OEM tow hitch? if it was a defective part, all the existing  hitches should have been recalled, correct? what am I missing here?

The aftermarket receiver hitches for the GX available from etrailer look identical to the OEM receiver hitch shown for the GX in the accessories section of lexus.com .  It's odd that  they are rated at 5,000 pounds max instead of the GX's 6,500 pound towing limit.   I suppose you could contact etrailer or the aftermarket hitch companies and ask why.  

The reason for a stop sale could be as simple as a supply chain issue ... there have been many during the past few years.  There was a stop-sale on a receiver hitch on the Toyota Sienna that I special ordered in 2014.  The Toyota dealer I ordered through was contacted by the factory in Indiana to get my approval to go ahead and build the vehicle without the hitch.   When the OEM receiver hitch became available again some months later, it looked exactly the same as the one sold before the stop sale.  I couldn't wait, so I bought a Curt receiver hitch from etrailer and installed it myself.  

A class 5 receiver hitch with a 10,000+ pound rating is superfluous on a GX that's rated to tow a maximum of 6,500 pounds unless Lexus specifically states that a class 5 hitch will increase towing capacity - very unlikely.  Here's a link to the current Lexus towing capacity guide:  https://www.metrolexus.com/towing-capacity-guide.html

The guide says that the 2022 LX has the highest towing capacity of all Lexus models - 8,000 pounds.   

I just spoke to parts manager at a local dealer.  They said the reason for stop sale is because the outgoing model “messed up weight distribution and bending frame”. 
I am skeptical about this because if this was true there would be a recall on all existing tow hitches. 
curt and other after market hitches are tiny and bolt on differently than lexis hitch which explains the lowered tow rating. 
This whole deal is very frustrating to be honest and I low key regret buying GX personally. 

3 hours ago, tejdp said:

I just spoke to parts manager at a local dealer.  They said the reason for stop sale is because the outgoing model “messed up weight distribution and bending frame”. 
I am skeptical about this because if this was true there would be a recall on all existing tow hitches. 
curt and other after market hitches are tiny and bolt on differently than lexis hitch which explains the lowered tow rating. 
This whole deal is very frustrating to be honest and I low key regret buying GX personally. 

I now see what you mean.  The photo of a supposedly OEM GX460 receiver hitch I was looking at on the Lexus.com accessories page was apparently a generic photo of a hitch and not specifically for a GX.  The GX gallery on Lexus.com shows the receiver hitch with the tube cross bar which is very different from the aftermarket hitches. 

• 1 month later...

I am going through the hitch issue right now.  I watched a couple youtube installs.  I think the little hitch is plenty strong for most people.  I think the place it bolts to is plenty strong.  I mean, if you can get the bigger hitch for say $350 go for it but I am going to use the little hitch while this is sorted out.

As was said above I was ready to back away from this Lexus as it seemed to me parts would be troublesome.  And this is how things are working out.  Normally I would do all my mods right away and than enjoy the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hitches are available for the GX 460.  Here is the one I purchased from my local Lexus dealer.    Shipping weight was 45.35 pounds.  I'll see how the install goes and update my post.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

It wasn't cheap, I can't put my hands on my receipt but it was in that ballpark.  Varied slightly from local dealer to local dealer. 

Install was pretty straight forward, the instructions were good.

This is just great, I just bought a smaller camper to stay under the limits of the after market hitch. Had this come out a month before, my camping set up would have looked way different. 

One a different note, I'm not all that impressed with the way my gx460 is towing. I am getting 9-10MPG going just about 70MPH pulling a camper that weighs only 3000lbs with some gear and no water. It also struggles to properly downshift on even small hills. Perhaps I'll post in a different thread about how others are doing with towing.

fwiw, I see the part on lexus online store for $575 USD, and the price varies depends on the dealer you choose to purchase from online. But that also means you'd have to install it yourself. 

• 1 month later...

Just installed the factory class IV receiver, on my new to me 2019 GX460. It went in very smooth over all, even exhaust hanger came off easily. Only issue getting the rust off the threads on the frame mounts. The joys living in a Midwest salt state.

• 11 months later...