Help - Cel After Seafoam

texasbigdog

Help - I did the Seafoam treatment on my 1997 LS400 thru the brake booster as described in this forum. Car was running great before the treatment, just had it serviced @ 120K miles, last week.

I put about 8oz of Seafoam thru the brake booster and let it set with the engine off for about 15 minutes. When I started the car it was dense white smoke everywhere for about 5-minuters. Then I took it out on the highway to blow out ther rest of seafoam.

CEL and Track-off warning lights came on a I left the driveway and won't go off. Any thoughts on what I may have done to it?

I ran noticeably better and smoother after the Seafoam.

Thanks

TexasBigDog

1997 LS400 - 120K miles - like new!

Help - I did the Seafoam treatment on my 1997 LS400 thru the brake booster as described in this forum. Car was running great before the treatment, just had it serviced @ 120K miles, last week.

I put about 8oz of Seafoam thru the brake booster and let it set with the engine off for about 15 minutes. When I started the car it was dense white smoke everywhere for about 5-minuters. Then I took it out on the highway to blow out ther rest of seafoam.

CEL and Track-off warning lights came on a I left the driveway and won't go off. Any thoughts on what I may have done to it?

I ran noticeably better and smoother after the Seafoam.

Thanks

TexasBigDog

1997 LS400 - 120K miles - like new!

Might have killed the oxygen sensors. Would probably be a good idea to take it to Auto Zone and have them pull the computer codes.

Remove ECT fuse for a few minutes to reset the system. If it comes on again then you may have messed up your O2 sensors or a spark plug maybe. You can also pull the codes at that time.

Pardon my ignorance....what is the ECT fuse...I do not see it listed by that name in my owners manual. Is that the OBDII fuse for diagnostics...Is it in the box under the hood or on drives side compartment. What does ECT stand for? Thanks

The car is running great, will it hurt it to drive it very far? :wacko:

Remove ECT fuse for a few minutes to reset the system. If it comes on again then you may have messed up your O2 sensors or a spark plug maybe. You can also pull the codes at that time.

Pardon my ignorance....what is the ECT fuse...I do not see it listed by that name in my owners manual. Is that the OBDII fuse for diagnostics...Is it in the box under the hood or on drives side compartment. What does ECT stand for? Thanks

The car is running great, will it hurt it to drive it very far?:wacko:

In my 91 its under the hood near battery. Its for the computer. You can't pull codes on odbII yourself. But im pretty sure they will go away with ecu reset.

In my 91 its under the hood near battery. Its for the computer. You can't pull codes on odbII yourself. But im pretty sure they will go away with ecu reset.

Disconnect the neg. battery terminal for 10 minutes and reconnect. :cheers:

He meant the EFI fuse. However, as dcfish suggested, pulling the battery terminal works just fine too.

He meant the EFI fuse. However, as dcfish suggested, pulling the battery terminal works just fine too.

Those suggestions did the trick! Thanks everyone. Before Seafoam car was getting right at 25mpg at hiway speed (70-75 mph). First tank after seafoam it got 22.6mpg ( with CEL on). First tank after ECT reset it got 26.3mpg...All of this on one long highway trip. Don't know what caused the fluctuations, seafoam, brand of gas, or CEL..

Anyway! Thanks

Those suggestions did the trick! Thanks everyone. Before Seafoam car was getting right at 25mpg at hiway speed (70-75 mph). First tank after seafoam it got 22.6mpg ( with CEL on). First tank after ECT reset it got 26.3mpg...All of this on one long highway trip. Don't know what caused the fluctuations, seafoam, brand of gas, or CEL..

Anyway! Thanks

We try, You Do :cheers: I am happy this issue is resolved.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello:

Check your car battery, I believe the Seafom had nothing to do with those lights coming on I feel your battery is on its way out. Have it checked, and be ready for it to be replaced soon, if it has water caps have them check maybe is low on water for now. But is going downhill and that is the way it is reflected on the Lex. Clean your terminals while you at it.

CPR

Anyway! Thanks