Lights By The Gearshifter And Lights On The Hvac Are Out... Info? Als

90LS400Lexus

I am sure there are countless threads on this, but I did a search and could not find anything on this particular issue.

I just had my 1991 Lexus LS400 delivered from Georgia and from what I can tell in the dark and the 1 mile I drove it home from the drop-off, I really love it... I remember how much regretted selling my old 90' LS400. One problem I was not aware of is that the light that down by the gearshifter and the lights on the buttons of the HVAC controls are not working. Now its not the LCD lights - amazingly, those are working fine for now. I remember that on my 90' LS400, that about 1/2 of those lights on the HVAC were out, but not the lights down by the gear shifter. Its impossible to see the buttons at night and I would really like to get this repaired

I am wondering - could this just be bad bulbs, fuse, or something in the circuit panel or something? Is it an easy repair?

Now, I have a question about the antenna. It needs replaced, I knew that. It makes the clicking noise when going down and when it finally gets down, it keeps on running for several seconds. I turned the ignition back on and off and thought that stopped it, but I had to turn the switch back on, as I forgot to put the window back up. It kept on that clicking and the switch did not help. I was about to disconnect the battery to make it stop, but just before that, it stopped. I am assuming these things are designed to stop running automatically after a few seconds anyway? I asked the owner and he said it did stop on its own after several seconds, but its really annoying. Is there any way to simply just disconnect it until I get a new antenna? I am assuming its just the antenna, rather than the motor.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Can only offer advice for the aerial. It can be disconnected in the trunk. It's cheapest to go on ebay and buy replacement mast (OEM). Fitting is very very easy you can get instructions from lexls.com. You defineately don't need a complete new antenna.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-00-LEXUS...sspagenameZWD2V

The antenna should be the same on your car as the one listed on ebay just ask the seller a question.

Can only offer advice for the aerial. It can be disconnected in the trunk. It's cheapest to go on ebay and buy replacement mast (OEM). Fitting is very very easy you can get instructions from lexls.com. You defineately don't need a complete new antenna.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-00-LEXUS...sspagenameZWD2V

The antenna should be the same on your car as the one listed on ebay just ask the seller a question.

Thanks for that link! Sure cannot beat that price! I will get one soon- in a couple of days. Looks like they keep a good supply in.

I just went and re-read my thread and thought I should re-word it abit. Its not the actual lights near the buttons that tells you what mode its on, but the lights that light up the buttons when the headlights are on. Not sure if this makes a difference.

One problem I was not aware of is that the light that down by the gearshifter and the lights on the buttons of the HVAC controls are not working. Now its not the LCD lights - amazingly, those are working fine for now. I remember that on my 90' LS400, that about 1/2 of those lights on the HVAC were out, but not the lights down by the gear shifter. Its impossible to see the buttons at night and I would really like to get this repaired

I am wondering - could this just be bad bulbs, fuse, or something in the circuit panel or something? Is it an easy repair?

i remember there was a thread with a howto on how to fix the lights.

i know http://www.lextech.org does it, but it requires to sell them whole unit and im not sure if it was for hvac along with the stereo.

but one guy did it himself, he took it apart and installed new leds in place of the burned ones. but this is very complicated procedure.

gearbox lights you prolly might want o play around yourself. take it apart and have a looksee:)

Ut oh, I guess I may just have to buy a nice flashlight! <_< :)

Thanks for that link as well. I will continue to look for that thread. I thought it was a pretty common problem from what I recalled when I owned my 90' LS400 4 years ago. On that car, about 1/2 of those lights were out, but it was not as bad, because at least I could see some of the controls. On this car, NONE of them are working, which makes it difficult. I guess I could always turn on the interior light. :whistles:

but this is very complicated procedure.

I replaced the gearshift lights 8 months ago- it was easy except for getting the bulb back in (tweezers helped a lot here!). There are a few screws holding the plastic plate that need to be removed, but the other parts are removed by gentle prying with a slot screwdriver. My buddy has a 4Runner and we tried to do the same thing with his, and the LS400 is much easier.....