Suspension

Ultraguy

Recently purchased an 04 Ultra and have some questions.

Is the sport setting on this car the same as the sport suspension option on the sport version....I know the ultra has air supension. Is the sport setting just a firm up the shock? Is the sport option on the regular car just a sport shock or is it springs and sway bars?

Is the high setting on the suspension just for the rear when the car is laden? Or does it adjust all 4 corners?

How can I check to make sure the air suspension is functioning properly and is not leaking?

I am running the stock 17 inch wheels with 225/55/17 with Dunlops. Have orderd 19 inch Michelins 245/40 with 19 by 8.5 inch Modas. Wouls I be better to go with the 18 inch by 7.5 inch stock Lexus wheels?

Does anybody have an opinion about this setup? Sway bar options?

Thanks!

This article has a comparison between the spring based Sport Suspension and the sport setting on the Ultra air suspension system: http://www.automotive.com/2004/12/lexus/ls...iews/index.html

Regarding the information in the article about using the high setting for driving in deep snow, I would hope you would not need that very often in Forida! Maybe it would help when it rains really hard, LOL.

The sport suspension is a different set of sway bars and bushings (and also I think shocks); also it came with the larger wheels as standard. I've never driven the sport suspension car (they seem to be quite rare) but from the review mentioned by Jim and others I've read it was quite a good blend of ride/handling and firmer than the air suspension set on sport.

The High setting seems to raise the overall ride height (as far as I can tell). The ride also gets a little harder when the setting is on High.

The biggest indicator of leaking air lines or springs is when the car has sat overnight; if it looks like a low rider then you probably have a leak somewhere; also the shocks inside the air struts can leak; most dealers or service centers will see that.

Someone in this forum mentioned something about using the rear sway bar from the sport suspension option as a replacement for the standard sway bar on the ultra.

Welcome to the club!

Is the sport setting on this car the same as the sport suspension option on the sport version....I know the ultra has air supension. Is the sport setting just a firm up the shock? Is the sport option on the regular car just a sport shock or is it springs and sway bars?

Is the high setting on the suspension just for the rear when the car is laden? Or does it adjust all 4 corners?

How can I check to make sure the air suspension is functioning properly and is not leaking?

I am running the stock 17 inch wheels with 225/55/17 with Dunlops. Have orderd 19 inch Michelins 245/40 with 19 by 8.5 inch Modas. Wouls I be better to go with the 18 inch by 7.5 inch stock Lexus wheels?

Thanks!

This article has a comparison between the spring based Sport Suspension and the sport setting on the Ultra air suspension system: http://www.automotive.com/2004/12/lexus/ls...iews/index.html

Regarding the information in the article about using the high setting for driving in deep snow, I would hope you would not need that very often in Forida! Maybe it would help when it rains really hard, LOL.

Thanks!

That's a great article for anyone considering one of these vehicles.

The sport suspension is a different set of sway bars and bushings (and also I think shocks); also it came with the larger wheels as standard. I've never driven the sport suspension car (they seem to be quite rare) but from the review mentioned by Jim and others I've read it was quite a good blend of ride/handling and firmer than the air suspension set on sport.

The High setting seems to raise the overall ride height (as far as I can tell). The ride also gets a little harder when the setting is on High.

The biggest indicator of leaking air lines or springs is when the car has sat overnight; if it looks like a low rider then you probably have a leak somewhere; also the shocks inside the air struts can leak; most dealers or service centers will see that.

Someone in this forum mentioned something about using the rear sway bar from the sport suspension option as a replacement for the standard sway bar on the ultra.

Welcome to the club!

Thanks!

OK great. Where can I get the specs on the suspension components....sway bar thickness, eg.

Where can I get a sport rear bar and bushings.

Thanks so much!