Error 71

bsouth123

There are some threads on this, but since the search mechanism won't let you search for words under 4 letters, searching for 71 is a challenge.

Test the egr valve by applying a vacuum while the engine is idling. the engine should hesitate and maybe die. If it does, you're egr valve is fine. you can just suck on the vaccum tube....but keep in mind the gasses this system recirculates. the port you want to apply a vacuum to is on the very top of the egr valve on a 90-93, seems like 94+ was different so I dunno.

If the EGR valve is ok, most likely your egr vacuum modulator needs replaced. It cost about 70 bucks and takes like 5 minutes. I think this and the egr valve are unitized in a 94+, since my service manual is for a 94 and doesn't show them as seperate. Neither did the one at the lexus dealer.

Was code 71 intermittent (CEL on again, off again) for a while? That's almost certainly vacuum modulator. If it just came on and stayed on one day, could be the egr pipe cracked.

Dan.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try.

There are some threads on this, but since the search mechanism won't let you search for words under 4 letters, searching for 71 is a challenge.

Test the egr valve by applying a vacuum while the engine is idling. the engine should hesitate and maybe die. If it does, you're egr valve is fine. you can just suck on the vaccum tube....but keep in mind the gasses this system recirculates. the port you want to apply a vacuum to is on the very top of the egr valve on a 90-93, seems like 94+ was different so I dunno.

If the EGR valve is ok, most likely your egr vacuum modulator needs replaced. It cost about 70 bucks and takes like 5 minutes. I think this and the egr valve are unitized in a 94+, since my service manual is for a 94 and doesn't show them as seperate. Neither did the one at the lexus dealer.

Was code 71 intermittent (CEL on again, off again) for a while? That's almost certainly vacuum modulator. If it just came on and stayed on one day, could be the egr pipe cracked.