Buying A 2003 Rx300 With 88k For 16 G's

Marine0311

My friend works at the dealership at which this car is for sale asking price $21,239. He says he can give it to me for exactly what they paid for it at auction -no profit to the dealership- because we go back. 88,000 mile 2003 RX300 for 16,000. 18,400 out the door with 12/12 warranty. I have never bought a car before so I can't tell if Im getting hooked up or not. Any advice?

Normally, i would not suggest you purchase an Rx300 because of the known transmission failures (about a $4400 fix) but since you're getting it for 5k less than what it's actually worth, your transmission could fail and you'd still be ahead. Plus, im sure if you're friends with the lexus guy, he'd probably fix it for free anyways!

Even $21 is a good price, even with that mileage. $16 is GREAT for an 03 rx300. TAKE IT!!

Is it AWD or FWD? the tranny failures are known to occur mostly on the AWD models.

My friend works at the dealership at which this car is for sale asking price $21,239. He says he can give it to me for exactly what they paid for it at auction -no profit to the dealership- because we go back. 88,000 mile 2003 RX300 for 16,000. 18,400 out the door with 12/12 warranty. I have never bought a car before so I can't tell if Im getting hooked up or not. Any advice?

I'd look for any signs of transmission failure first. If there are none, I'd take it in a skinny minute. It's a steal. Check out the tow reciever to see if it looks like it's been towing. That's apparently a leading cause of death in RX300 transmissions. Also, at 88K, they should be willing to do the 90K service for you on it, which should include flushing the transmission fluid. Even if you have to pay for this, all the 90K work shouldn't be much more than $1,000 even at a Lexus dealer. There are plenty of posts here about red flags in the transmission itself. Also check the service history to see that the transmission has been serviced regularly, and listen for any kind of grinding sound when you bring the vehicle to a stop (a sign of impending failure). If all's good, you have a deal on your hands.

FWIW, I wouldn't spend money on the extra warranty though. I never buy extra warranties on anything, and in my experience car warranties are the most useless of all when something does go wrong.