Odd Question On Gas Cap Area

Most vehicles I have owned have a springloaded metal flap under the gas cap that keeps fuel from sloshing out. I noticed on my wife's 400h that she does not have that flap. I called the dealer and they checked one on their floor and it did not have one either. Is this something that is done for Hybrids? If so, why? Anyone know?

Most vehicles I have owned have a springloaded metal flap under the gas cap that keeps fuel from sloshing out. I noticed on my wife's 400h that she does not have that flap. I called the dealer and they checked one on their floor and it did not have one either. Is this something that is done for Hybrids? If so, why? Anyone know?

The smallish opening and spring loaded flap was to prevent someone fueling a catalyst equipped engine with LEADED fuel. By federal law/mandate leaded fuel pump nozzles had to be too large to fit the smaller unleaded fuel opening.

Since there is now no leaded pumps around there is no longer a need for the spring loaded flap.

The smallish opening and spring loaded flap was to prevent someone fueling a catalyst equipped engine with LEADED fuel. By federal law/mandate leaded fuel pump nozzles had to be too large to fit the smaller unleaded fuel opening.

Since there is now no leaded pumps around there is no longer a need for the spring loaded flap.

Thanks for the info, I never knew the reason for the flap. I do not have issues with fuel spilling out, so no big deal not having it. Was just worried that it had been there and might have fallen into the tank. Glad to know I dont need to worry. Thanks,

The reason they don't have the one-way flap is because there is a valve that prevents you from putting anything in the tank unless you hit the fuel door button. I do not know why they do this, but after hitting the button, you have like... 25 minutes to fuel up before the valve closes.