2002 Es Wind Noise

irishcurtis

Just got my '02 ES back from the dealer for what I consider to be excessive wind noise around the driver's side mirror/door. They replaced the mirror and noted the gasket was improperly installed. Trouble is, I think it's worse now. Passenger side is quiet as a tomb; driver's side has a constant roar above 45 mph regardless of wind direction, direction of travel, etc.

When I call the dealer on Monday, I think I ask to demo another ES300/330 to see if this is typical. I don't think it should be, but if another similar car does this, I suppose I will have to live with it.

Any similar experiences or explanations out there?

Thanx

Curtis

totally quiet on my 02 ES for five years now (just broke 100k).

The only wind noise that I have had, has been around the moonroof. The gasket was replaced under a TSB about 3 years ago.

About twice a year I give that gasket a good coating of spray silicone and it quiets down any wind noise or creaking that starts to arise.

steviej

i have a 96 es300 and i hear wind when driving above 45+ mph too, right by the driver side mirror. but i dont wanna spend lots of moolah having the dealer fix it. i suppose a toyota dealer would be much cheaper than a lexus dealer tho.

Your issue is completely different than his issue with his '02. Your car suffers from misaligned side windows which is very common on the 92-96 ES. Its caused by years of shutting the doors by the frameless windows.

The '02 has framed windows.

• 5 months later...

When my (2002 ES300) driver side window gasket gets dislodged, there is alot of wind noise coming from the upper rearmost corner of the door. Opening the window, pusing the gasket back into place and then raising the window fixes the wind noise, until it happens again. Which is usually the next time I lower the window. Not sure it's worth the labor to repair.

-Matt Shanley

• 1 month later...
i have a 96 es300 and i hear wind when driving above 45+ mph too, right by the driver side mirror. but i dont wanna spend lots of moolah having the dealer fix it. i suppose a toyota dealer would be much cheaper than a lexus dealer tho.

Your issue is completely different than his issue with his '02. Your car suffers from misaligned side windows which is very common on the 92-96 ES. Its caused by years of shutting the doors by the frameless windows.

The '02 has framed windows.

Anyway of fixing that for the 96? I have the same issue...