Power Steering

tjmc11

I have a power steering issue in my 99 RX300. The steering is very loose. As I am driving on the highway I can easily turn the wheel about an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn before the steering "catches" and begins to direct my vehicle. The wheel feels very loose. I DO however still have power when the linkage catches. Th issue is not the PS pump or a leak becasue I still have fluid and power, just loose steering (not due to ball joints or tie rod ends).

This is not really a question because I know I have to change my rack and pinion to solve this problem. I just want to post my symptoms so others know what direction to go.

On another note, I am researching now to see if the TOYOTA SIENNA (2001) rack and pinion set-up can be used in the rx 300. models. They look nearly identical in the pictures I have seen. If this is the case I will post and let you know because there is about a 100 - 200 dollar difference in price for the rack in the Toyota versus the Lexus.

Symptoms: loose steering which begins to catch after 1/8 - 1/4 turn. No sounds coming from PS system. Not hard to turn / no resistance to turning.

Solution: Replace rack and pinion.

If anyone feels I am incorrect, please let me know. Thanks. Email me @ tjmc11@hotmail.com for any quesitons....

Just because parts look similar doesn't mean that they are identical or even compatible.

I realize that they may look similiar and not be compatible, but many toyota parts (ie: the coils) can be interchangable with many other toyota models. As far as the bushings, I have checked them and although they are lose slightly, they are no where near the amount of play needed to cause the loose steering I am having. The bushings are a common cause of knocking noise however.....just fyi. Thank you guys for the input and replies......together we can beat the Lexus system of designed failure...or something like that.....hahahaha.