Gearbox Problem

Hi all from Europe :cheers:

My 2001 GS 430 has a problem, when the car is hot and I pull away from a standing start the car hesitates for a second and then drives away. No problems once the car moves away just when you pull away and some days it will be ok even when hot and other days it is a pain all day once hot.

This problem does not occur when the car is cold, and does not appear to be a misfire.

My Lexus garage put it on the computer and found no problem so they drove it up the road on the computer. They have told me that the problem is the car sometimes pulls away in 2nd gear instead of 1st hence the hesitation.

Their solution replace gearbox € 7,900 Euros ($9,600 US Dollars) :wacko:

Has anyone had the same problem, fixed this problem or any other suggestions on how to fix this please?????

I am wondering if this could only be an electrical/sensor problem as the gearbox is ok apart from this one thing.

Wondered if any of you guys over there had had this problem or knew anything about this?

Any help or advice would be great please

Thanks

You sound smarter than your "garage". It is a simple problem - not that I'm an expert on the Toyota trans - that will be in the selector, which should be adjusted, or one of the valves in the valve body perhaps, or a solenoid. Somehow the trans is not sensing that the car has come to a stop and should be in first gear, or is unable to select the gear if it does sense it. As an electronic trans it will see road speed through the same sensor used for the speedometer probably.

Changing the trans for this problem is like buying a new car because the ashtray is full, or the battery is dead. It's stupid.