Leaking Power Steering Gearbox? 1997 Ls400

rob22

Hey guys-

New poster here, I'm shopping for a used LS400. Took a look at two today. First one didn't appeal to me but the second seems like a pretty good fit. Looking under the car, just inside of driver's front wheel, I can see a wet/dripping steering component which I assume is the gearbox.

I've searched and am familiar with the P/S pump - drips on the alternator issue (don't think this applies to the 97s), but didn't find anything specifically on P/S gearbox leaks. I didn't pull the airbox and paneling so was difficult to see the P/S pump clearly. Could it be (1) a leaky P/S pump running down to the gearbox, (2) leaky gearbox itself, or (3) some other leak...seems like the bottom of the gearbox is a low point on the motor?

Also, I noticed a difference in steering between this 97 model and a 95 model. The 95 model steering wheel was very light and easy to turn whereas the 97 felt heavier in the steering. They're the same generation, correct...should they feel the same? I prefer the heavier feeling, feels more like my 79 Benz :rolleyes: but want to make sure everything's all right.

Thanks in advance. Nice forum.

Rob

Taking the two things you say together, I'd guess the power steering in the 97 isn't working as well as it should. It should work as the 95 does. Did you happen to notice if the fluid is low? The 95-97s don't have the PS pump/hose leaks nearly as often as the 1st gens, but they do leak sometimes.

If you haven't looked into it yet, check out the differences that were introduced for 1998. A fair bump in performance (reflected in price, but maybe worth it to you). There's a useful list here:

http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

One thing not mentioned there (if I recall right) is that the 98s got thicker glass for additional noise reduction (or so I've read). Mine seems a bit quieter than the 97 I tried out, at least for wind and traffic noise.

Happy hunting.