Struts For Rx300--cost & Do I Need Them

eyesblue12

My first post here...I have a 2001 RX300 and it was a little bouncy lately..not a lot...little. I took it to Lexus to see if it was shocks or struts or what....They said Front Struts need replacing...$600 Parts and $400 labor. I've called around and prices vary from $500-$1300 from independent repair shops. And there are KYB struts and Monroe Struts. And they say I may need to put a new mount as well for each...

The car only has 55,000 miles.

Any advice? Any others have to replace the struts? Price?

My first post here...I have a 2001 RX300 and it was a little bouncy lately..not a lot...little. I took it to Lexus to see if it was shocks or struts or what....They said Front Struts need replacing...$600 Parts and $400 labor. I've called around and prices vary from $500-$1300 from independent repair shops. And there are KYB struts and Monroe Struts. And they say I may need to put a new mount as well for each...

I would be surprised if you need front struts at only 55,000 miles, 125,000 maybe, but not...

The dealer, and such, are undoubtedly trying to take advantage of your non-subjective "a little bouncy lately"...

$600 for parts...??

I haven't bought struts recently but I'm still sure two can be had for less that $200.

I would be surprised if you need front struts at only 55,000 miles, 125,000 maybe, but not...

The dealer, and such, are undoubtedly trying to take advantage of your non-subjective "a little bouncy lately"...

$600 for parts...??

I haven't bought struts recently but I'm still sure two can be had for less that $200.

The parts, I did research them, are at least $120 each plus possible supports at $85 each...for a Japanese aftermarket brand. Lexus brand is higher...(also checked KYB brand). the brands and model struts affect the stiffness of the ride they say.

Okay, until I am bouncing like a bobblehead toy I will assume they are fine and that Lexus was just catering to a concern.

I guess struts affect the steering and handling and shocks affect the bouncing?

Other than that I love my car.

Another thing you can do is to look for an independent repair facility that deals in foreign cars, preferably specializing in Japanese. For instance, within 20 of my house, I have one shop that works on German, another that deals with Honda and Acura, and a third that deals with any foreign.

Since these shops exist in what I call a specialty market, I would bet that their reputation has to be better than a local mom and pop repair shop. I have used the Honda/Acura shop and they are top notch.

Gary

The parts, I did research them, are at least $120 each plus possible supports at $85 each...for a Japanese aftermarket brand. Lexus brand is higher...(also checked KYB brand). the brands and model struts affect the stiffness of the ride they say.

Okay, until I am bouncing like a bobblehead toy I will assume they are fine and that Lexus was just catering to a concern.

I guess struts affect the steering and handling and shocks affect the bouncing?

Other than that I love my car.

The Lexus RX300 only uses struts, which replace the traditional shock absorber.

I'd be very surprised if you needed struts at 55k, although they can deteriorate with age too.

I'd take it to an indy shop that knows Japanese cars and just ask them to inspect the struts, don't mention bounciness and see what they say.

I'd be very surprised if you needed struts at 55k, although they can deteriorate with age too.

I'd take it to an indy shop that knows Japanese cars and just ask them to inspect the struts, don't mention bounciness and see what they say.

THank You all so much for the advice... I will wait and take it to a japanese/lexus specialty repair place for an inspection when I next change my oil:) Thanks to all! robin

that sounds about right. I have a '99 RX300, and I had the struts fixed about 2 years ago (around 75k miles). But then they began to leak a little over a year later. Fortunately, the dealership fixed them free of charge. So make sure you ask about warranty on their work.