Seat Belt Check

qha_vn

i notice that my ls400 seat belt (all seats) do not lock when i pull it out quickly as it normally does with other cars. would this be a problem and how to check to make sure that they still work?

thanks

I dont believe it matters how quickly you pull your seat belt. but rather how quickly your car stops. Try decelerating quickly(ie: putting on the brakes) while doing 30mph (48kph) or so, and pull on the seatbelt. It should lock.

There is a mechanism which senses deceleration to tighten the belt. Like when you stop suddenly from hitting another object.

It will only lock them up if the weight at the bottom of the belts are shifted out of its center. It is a small pendulum weight that locks when ever weight transfer is detected.

Thanks SK, does this mean the belt wont be locked on quick pull?

• 2 months later...
It will only lock them up if the weight at the bottom of the belts are shifted out of its center. It is a small pendulum weight that locks when ever weight transfer is detected.

Every seat belt retractor has a centrifical "brake/clutch" such the rapid unspooling of the belt will be quickly stopped. If yours doesn't then something is wrong.

Every seat belt retractor has a centrifical "brake/clutch" such the rapid unspooling of the belt will be quickly stopped. If yours doesn't then something is wrong.

I tried tugging on my Lex and as wwest mentioned, it locks up with a rapid pull. Both sides worked the same.

Then I went to my Chrysler Town and Country. No lock up on either side despite very quick pull. And yet it locks when I hit the brakes. I am intrigued.

• 2 months later...

i did try braking hard at 40kph and noticed that the seat belt was locked. so the locking mechanism works only in sudden stop unlike normal belt which gets locked on quick pull