My Rx350 Smells Bad After A/c Is Turned Off!

My RX has about 2000 miles on it now. I have been noticing that every time I switch from A/C to regular fan mode, some weird smell (not pleasent) comes from the fan and it keeps blowing for a long time. I want to check and see if this is normal? I had the same issue with my old 1998 Toyota Avalon but I thought new cars will not have that problem. Anyway...if you guys have the same problem and have a remedy, please help me.

Thanks,

SVK

Check the cabin air filter. However, in S. Cal there should not be a mold problem.

With only 2K miles on the car you may want to take it back to the Lexus dealer under warranty and have them deal with the issue.

Others on this site have noted an odor in their cars but it is not a common occurrence. Do a search of this site using keyword "odor" or "smell" and see what comes up.

My RX has about 2000 miles on it now. I have been noticing that every time I switch from A/C to regular fan mode, some weird smell (not pleasent) comes from the fan and it keeps blowing for a long time. I want to check and see if this is normal? I had the same issue with my old 1998 Toyota Avalon but I thought new cars will not have that problem. Anyway...if you guys have the same problem and have a remedy, please help me.

Thanks,

SVK

I have the 07 RX350 w/8 K miles. About 4 wks ago musting smell started coming from HVAC vents, progressivley worsening. Took to dealership last Thursday. They do not have an answer. Went to dealership today, car is totally stripped inside ,only driver seat and parts of dash remain. I am throughly PO'D. I am a non-smkr and and very neat with my cars. Basically I've told Lexus that I don't want it back. I know that it will never be the same. Read some blogs and found that this musty smell is toxic.

Let me know what your situation is. I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

dbed

• 9 months later...

Thanks,

SVK

I have the 07 RX350 w/8 K miles. About 4 wks ago musting smell started coming from HVAC vents, progressivley worsening. Took to dealership last Thursday. They do not have an answer. Went to dealership today, car is totally stripped inside ,only driver seat and parts of dash remain. I am throughly PO'D. I am a non-smkr and and very neat with my cars. Basically I've told Lexus that I don't want it back. I know that it will never be the same. Read some blogs and found that this musty smell is toxic.

Thanks.

dbed

I bought a 2007 rx 350 in oct 2006 and still am trying to deal with the toxic odor. the car has made us sick and wonder if anyone has gotton a resolution from lexus we can barely drive the car

Thanks,

SVK

Thanks.

dbed

I bought a 2007 rx 350 in oct 2006 and still am trying to deal with the toxic odor. the car has made us sick and wonder if anyone has gotton a resolution from lexus we can barely drive the car

heard too it is toxic. cosmoline and was told to not drive the car and lexus has done nothing in the 30 times i took the car to different dealers.

has anyone had any resolve

dcj

• 13 years later...

I too purchased a 2013 Lexus GS 350 and noticed a foul (toxic) odor.  I tried to wash it, I tried to wipe it clean and it kept coming back.  I then smelled every area of the car and noticed that it came from the instrument panel/dashboard area (not the leather, but the other almost rubber material that surrounds the nav and the instruments).  I checked all over the web and noticed that this one was not in the recall and I feel like if more people posted the issue, it would've been included, but it's much more difficult to prove.  Initially, it made me sick the first few times I rode it, so I cleaned it. It still smells, but now I keep air freshener (it only masks it).  Lexus corporation is looking into it, but the dealer isn't helping!  I have an '09 Camry and it IS melting, but doesn't have the smell and it's covered under the new program.  I'm believing God that Lexus take this seriously and fix these issues.  If you are like me and noticed it, definitely try smelling the instrument panel (front panel) and you might noticed how strong the smell is.  I am taking pictures and compiling this as well to share with corporate.  I'll post an update soon.  I am wondering if others simply gave up and got used to the smell?

Have you checked the cabin filter? When was the last time it was replaced? Another possibility is a dead rodent near the engine or somewhere inside the air ducting.