1997 Es300 Rear Seat Belt Won't Retract

johningram1

I have a 1997 ES300 and the rear drivers side seat belt won't retract. I took it to the toyota dealer for some service and asked them to check it and give me an estimate. They want $309 to replace it. I've searched on this forum but haven't found anything for the rear belts... only the front. The seat belts retract into the rear windshield deck and I need some guidance before I attempt to do it myself.

I'm sure there is a better way even if I have to replace it myself. Thanks for your help.

I'll have to check my old install pictures (while the rear deck was disassembled), but I'm pretty sure the seat belt retraction mechanisms are easily accessible with the back seat and rear deck removed (which is pretty easy to do). You've either broken a recoil spring, or if they are just slow to recoil, you may be able to clean the unit to get it working properly.

I thought I read somewhere that seatbelts were replaced by all auto manufactures when they had a defect because they are a key safey component. Hmm... maybe it was just when there was a recall on them. Either way, I think they should.

I have a 1997 ES300 and the rear drivers side seat belt won't retract. I took it to the toyota dealer for some service and asked them to check it and give me an estimate. They want $309 to replace it. I've searched on this forum but haven't found anything for the rear belts... only the front. The seat belts retract into the rear windshield deck and I need some guidance before I attempt to do it myself.

I'm sure there is a better way even if I have to replace it myself. Thanks for your help.

seatbelt_cleaning_lexus.pdf

The seat belt is extended all the way. I won't be able to do any cleaning on it unless I can take the back deck out. Any help with getting to the seat belt retracting mechanism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

• 9 months later...

The seat belt is extended all the way. I won't be able to do any cleaning on it unless I can take the back deck out. Any help with getting to the seat belt retracting mechanism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I have the same problem on my '97 es300 and wondering if there is a way to fix it myself. On the rear seat, drive side, someone pulled the seat belt all the way, now it won't retract. Can someone point me to any pics showing how to fix this?